• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 47 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 12:38 PM

How were the batteries held in place for a late 1970s vintage Power King?  Mine came to me with bungee cords strapped across the top.  I just bought a new battery and the bungee cords are pretty stretched out, so I am looking to go back to what the tractor originally had....or somewhere close.  Any pics of a factory setup would be most appreciated!

I've see others using battery boxes, eye bolts in the tie-down holes plus a bungee cord, and one guy (CADplans?) who used 2 pieces of all-thread in the tie-down holes then a piece of metal across the top.

Thanks!

• Claudetew said thank you

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hi Z that's a good question as to what the factory supplied I looked thur the master parts list and found one page with a battery hold down it was basically a flat piece across the top of the battery with an eye bolt and wing nuts to hold the flat in down, I use a bungee on my tractors works good is simple and easy.

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,112 Thanks
  • 1,315 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 02:05 PM

MNGB likely correct on original securement.  Metal strapping from the dumpster is common, same stuff we use to secure fuel tanks on cars, pickups and tractors.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:51 PM

I used small angle iron across top to 2 rods, wing nuts and bent or hooked ends. Crossing top post battery not easy if HSS caps. Side posts are better and won't hit the seat. Have also used those GM plastic blocks that wedge the bottom edge of battery on each end.
  • MNGB said thank you

#5 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 47 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 11:00 AM

I saw this image while looking for pics of something else:

100_2352.jpg

That battery hold down solution looks very clean.  It appears to be angle iron welded up to make a bracket with ears to accept the bolts or all-thread.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 03:07 PM

angle iron all around used to be normal, BUT, many batts now have terminals too close to edge and want to short on those. I have made these and cut out a bit where terminal is to pass by. BUT, then you must make sure the lead terminal on battery cable also does not touch that same metal too. You CAN have the tabs for mount bolts in any position tho, have had to have them not centered also when doing this. AND, one more thing, the welded up bracket will only fit one size of battery, so hope you can always find same size in future.

• MNGB said thank you