• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • Member No: 69513
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 12:25 PM

I have a 14.5 HP B&S OHV engine for a riding lawn mower. It has worked fairly well most of the summer. Just recently it is starting OK but after 10 minutes the engine just quits. It has done this 4 times in past week. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BrokenTractor

#2 firefight100 OFFLINE  

firefight100
  • Member No: 61728
  • 20 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 12:51 PM

My bet would be a coil breaking down.  Try a new one.

#3 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,090 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 01:08 PM

Make sure the gas cap is venting, soon as it quits check for spark, coil going bad or starving for gas will act like that
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,738 Thanks
  • 18,022 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 02:21 PM

Any spark after it quits?

You can buy an inline spark tester for around $10-20 depending on what kind

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 03:12 PM

Could be the Anti-Backfire solenoid on the carb sticking. Or the inner lining of the Fuel line collapsed. You can blame both on Ethanol and the other crap they put in fuel now a days.  

Usually on a Briggs single cylinder if the coil is shot it will just quit and you can not restart it.

1st off Pull the fuel hose off of the carburetor and see if you get full flow through the hose or just a trickle. The inside of the fuel hose tends to turn into a Tar like substance. Usually the blockage is rite on the bottom where it connects to the fuel tank. You will have to replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb and filter.

If the Solenoid is faulty you can replace it but they are a little expensive. You MUST replace the rubber tipped float needle if your ever inside of a OHV Briggs carb. PM me and I can walk you through modifying the solenoid but you are going to need to install a $4 inline fuel shut off in it's place. Better than paying $30-$60 for a solenoid though.     

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,760 Thanks
  • 44,545 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Could be the Anti-Backfire solenoid on the carb sticking. Or the inner lining of the Fuel line collapsed. You can blame both on Ethanol and the other crap they put in fuel now a days.  

Usually on a Briggs single cylinder if the coil is shot it will just quit and you can not restart it.

1st off Pull the fuel hose off of the carburetor and see if you get full flow through the hose or just a trickle. The inside of the fuel hose tends to turn into a Tar like substance. Usually the blockage is rite on the bottom where it connects to the fuel tank. You will have to replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb and filter.

If the Solenoid is faulty you can replace it but they are a little expensive. You MUST replace the rubber tipped float needle if your ever inside of a OHV Briggs carb. PM me and I can walk you through modifying the solenoid but you are going to need to install a $4 inline fuel shut off in it's place. Better than paying $30-$60 for a solenoid though.     

I shy away from that plastic lined fuel line! Had that happen. If it ain't an all rubber hose, I ain't using it!

#7 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 05:34 PM

I will reread what has been posted thus far. I can say I went back out and fuel was dripping from the carb onto the frame. Never saw that before. Anyways pulled the carb off the engine and took it apart but not sure what to look for. 

Thanks so far be back later,

BT

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 9,307 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:44 PM

One blessing - if it was a Tecumsah, it would quit in 5 minutes. :D 

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,354 Thanks
  • 9,732 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Mow for 10 minutes, have a beer.

Yeah, we should probably help ya get this fixed.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks to all that have answered. I think the fuel flowing onto the frame, might have to do with a toggle switch I have for the electronic solenoid that KennyP mentioned. After the engine quit, I forgot to toggle the switch to off. So while the toggle is in the ON position fuel flows to the carb.  I was reading what Firefight100 is talking about. So while the engine was trying to quit on me, I sprayed starting fluid into carb, and it did not quit at that moment. I thought at this point it was OK and then ran the tractor for about 5 mins more then it quit while I was using it. Maybe I should just let it sit there and let it idle and wait with the starting fluid to see if I can keep it running for say 30 minutes.

Overall I will use the info above and check for:

1. Gas cap venting

2. Solenoid. On the carb and the one right after the battery too.

3. Ignition coil. I have read about this and could be faulty especially after it gets hot and then the engine abruptly quits.

4. Go over all points mentioned by KennyP.

5. Fuel line issues.

Thanks,

BT

Edited by BrokenTractor, October 28, 2017 - 09:44 PM.

#11 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 09:54 PM

By the way the Carb the engine comes with is the NIKKI carb. It has been pretty good and the same one for over 5 years now.

BT

#12 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, we should probably help ya get this fixed.

i was thinking of this - problem solved!