• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mlints OFFLINE  

mlints

• Member No: 4445
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 10:06 AM

I had a garage fire recently, and it burned up my Bolens G14 and Wheel Horse 14 Automatic. It was a bad fire, and pretty much anything that can burn did. Does anyone know if the tractors can still be used for parts, or are they just scrap metal?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 10:13 AM

I had a garage fire recently, and it burned up my Bolens G14 and Wheel Horse 14 Automatic. It was a bad fire, and pretty much anything that can burn did. Does anyone know if the tractors can still be used for parts, or are they just scrap metal?

Many parts will likely be able to be used again. Even the hydro & gear cases are likely still good, but will need new gaskets & seals. Is it worth the effort to rebuild....not sure. But some of the parts are surely re-useable.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 10:29 AM

mlints, Welcome GT talk,Glad you found us. Sorry for your loss, Where do you live? As olcowhand said, there are lots of usable parts there. Let us know what you ar going to do and post them in the Classifieds if you want to sell them or trade.

#4 mlints OFFLINE  

mlints

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 12:38 PM

I live in central Vermont. I'm not going to rebuild them, but I hate to see any usable parts go to waste. They were really good tractors, especially the Bolens. I'll set them aside for now, and part them out after I get an indoor work space. In the meantime, if anyone wants any parts from them, let me know.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 01:01 PM

You need to list them in the Classified section. It's free to our members. Just follow the link at the top right hand side of the main forum page..

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 03:03 PM

It's hard to say without looking them over closely. I've seen some pretty sorry lookng machnes rebuilt after a fire. And I saw my brothers JD316 after it burned and there was nothing salvageable, up to and including melting the block and transaxle?
But I'm with you I would hate to trash them if someone could use parts!
Sorry to hear of your loss!

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry your garage and tractors burned. I hope you will be able to rebuild and replace. You should have a good opportunity now to build the garage bigger though.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:02 PM

:wave: mlints Welcome to GTTalk! It's terrible that your garage burned! Best of luck getting everything back in order. We'd still like to see some pics of them...we're a shameless bunch and love pics..no matter what the condition!

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 03:20 AM

Sorry to hear of your fire. Hopefully you didn't lose too much?
Maybe you can find another Bolens & use this one for parts?

When I was a kid, my neighbors house burned... Gas grill regulator failed. They lost everything, but what they wished they could've gotten were the picture albums. They were just thankful they made it out.

#10 mlints OFFLINE  

mlints

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Alright, to satisfy your morbid curiosity, here's what's left of my tractors. The Bolens in on the left, and the Wheel Horse on the right. You can also see a Bolens 1055 in front of the chicken coop that I had picked up for parts. I've already replaced them with a Kubota G1800 that I got a good deal on (maybe because they knew the fuel pump was about to go on it.)

I'd like to get another Bolens, but I need to re-build the garage first so I have a place to put it.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1040312.jpg

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:39 AM

They did get pretty hot, but someone might needs some trans internals, which should be good to go. Those wheel weights are money in the bank.
Sure hate that you lost your shop & tools, but at least nobody got hurt & "stuff" is replaceable given time. Insurance?

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 12:45 PM

I agree. No one was hurt, stuff is replaceable. The do look warm though.

#13 mlints OFFLINE  

mlints

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 01:12 PM

The building wasn't covered - I'm still waiting to see whether or not insurance will cover any of the contents. I didn't lose many tools, I keep most of them in the basement. The biggest loss was almost all my outdoor power equipment, and my wife's new kitchen cabinets. We were storing them in the garage waiting to remodel the kitchen this summer. She was almost as sorry as me about the fire.

I agree the important thing is no one was seriously hurt, but I don't know if I'll be able to replace everything. I had a custom mower made from two old Ford Pinto engines. The front engine drove the wheels (front-drive), and the rear engine powered a 5-foot mower deck and vacuum blower to suck up the clippings. It wasn't much good on hills, but it could mow an acre of level ground in 10 minutes flat. I'm not likely to find another one of those.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 01:18 PM

I understand your pain. My shop is an old house and I worry constantly about fire because it will burn the whole thing down given a chance. Nearest fire department is about 20 minutes away. I have mostly rare tractors in my collection too. When dad and I finish his shop and the shed addition I am going to move the rares to his shop for better fire protection. Tough to replace rare tractors and equipment, but harder to replace people, they are even more rare!!

#15 scrapiron OFFLINE  

scrapiron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 5985
  • 1 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 10:51 PM

hey i just read about your loss, i hope things have worked out for the best...........