17 replies to this topic

#16 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 547 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 05:53 PM

You can't go to the local parts shop to get an off the shelf starter for those, they use a starter/generator. They also have a shaft driven friction disc clutch to a right angle gear box which belt drives a Peerless 2300 4 speed transaxle, excellent transmissions used in many tractors regardless of brand. Without it running there is no way to check it out properly due to the amount of components in the drive line (throwout bearing, clutch disc, pilot bearing, right angle gear box, drive shaft and linkages). They are really good tractors but come with their own set of potential problems. Good luck and if you buy it there is plenty of help here if you need it.

• boyscout862 and MarkMasters76 have said thanks

#17 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,240 Thanks
  • 4,622 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 06:43 PM

. I currently own a '75 Wheel Horse C160

:welcometogttalk:  I have Wheel Horses too!

• MarkMasters76 said thank you

#18 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 501 Thanks
  • 363 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 08:21 AM

Welcome to the forum.

If the tractor was well maintained or has been restored in years past, it may be a good buy at $300. I paid $225 and $125 for non-running 990s. $500 for running tractor with mower, 3pt hitch and front plow. 990 is the newer model to the 760/960. I would trailer that tractor for $250, but I like the MTD garden tractors. Post the engine numbers and maybe we can get close to the model year, unless it was replaced. Looks like a 1968 to 1970 model year.

MolonLabe pointed out likely issues with the drive train. Not easy repairs and parts are hard to locate. In addition, the steering box and linkage are usually worn out on these unless it was lubricated per the manual. Check the front wheel bearings by lifting the front off the ground and rocking the tires.

If you have an old WheelHorse, you know they can be money pits to keep them running and working.

Plowing snow will require chains and rear wheel weights. 

I would bring a good car battery with jumper cables and try the starter. Connect direct to the starter and see what happens. If it turns, it may need only to be rebuilt.

Expect the tractor to need parts ($) and a lot of labor. If you like working on these old machines, like many of us do, then it may be a good project. The knowledge people have on this forum is an excellent resource.