• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the comments! This will not be the 'full time' heater, more of a backup to the wood burner if needed!

• olcowhand, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 08:47 PM

This will not be the 'full time' heater, more of a backup to the wood burner if needed!

It's funny but mine started out as a wood stove I built back in the middle seventies and is now doing duty as an oil burner. Actually the metal came from the old water tower in Bryant SD. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 4,968 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Continue with lots of pics as you build this Kenny. I don't understand the concept of it yet and my curiosity is working well.
  • KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 05:36 AM

Shorty , the type Kenny is building kind of just drips oil onto that steel/cast plate , nothing like what you would see in your house . I think once that plate is very hot the oil just vaporizes when it hits it .  I think I've seen some that sort of preheat the oil to so you can get a more consent flow , easier to regulate I suppose . I've been following this because I know we'll get an honest idea of how it turns out from  Kenny   

Edited by Alc, October 26, 2017 - 05:41 AM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 05:39 AM

Continue with lots of pics as you build this Kenny. I don't understand the concept of it yet and my curiosity is working well.

Look for the link in the first post. That may give you a better idea of what's going on.

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 08:44 PM

Here is some photos of the simple burner I'm using. As can be seen there is not much smoke during the burn. The tube coming into the burner pot is blowing air on the fire. The air needs to swirl around the inside of the pot. It is now a 25 cfm fan and needs to be bigger as does the pot. In one photo can be seen the drip pipe that preheats the oil. The heat exchanger fan is 225 cfm and moves a lot of air out the 3 front discharge tubes. This air can be so hot that you cannot hold your hand closer that 2' away. I am now putting together a control to shut down the oil flow if the stove gets too hot. 

This evening construction of a larger oil reservoir was started using a 100lb propane tank. Want it farther away from the stove as the one mounted to the stove gets so hot the oil boils and it only holds 5 gallons. 

Attached Thumbnails

• STA_0497.JPG
  • IMG_0502.JPG
  • IMG_0504.JPG
  • IMG_0505.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks