• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,426 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 06:39 PM

Anything you need to know about cast iron cookware.

http://www.castironc...nufacturers.php
  • KennyP, dropped82, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#17 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • Member No: 87536
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Wow good tips fellas! I am now on the hunt for older pans and such. May buy a Lodge to get started though. They are on sale here in Alberta right now. I love the idea of corn bread in a pan, gotta try that soon. I found a good old boy channel on youtube, Cowboy Kent Rollins. He has a stable of vids on ci giving great tips on care and feeding of ci.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#18 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,114 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 11:59 AM

Jazz, Is your Sears store staying open. Ours in, Charlottetown, PEI, is closing,  sales on now to get rid of stuff.  Parking lot full of cars.

Noel

#19 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,525 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 11:35 PM

Our Sears went from a store to just mail order and has now disappeared. Sad.

• KennyP, propane1 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#20 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,111 Thanks
  • 1,314 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 09:08 PM

Jazz, Is your Sears store staying open. Ours in, Charlottetown, PEI, is closing,  sales on now to get rid of stuff.  Parking lot full of cars.

Noel

Ours is closing but the sales are not great deals yet.  The way Sears treats employees I'm surprised many have not just walked out the door to new jobs. Maybe Sears is offering incentive to stay until closing. Never hear a good thing about management at local store. I know some folks who spent decades working there and walked off with their pensions a few year back, none had anything good to say about management.

• oldedeeres and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#21 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 09:52 PM

I took your advice and bought a larger Lodge 12”, with the frying egg logo. Got it home and just had to try improving it a bit, maybe about an hour total getting it smoother inside. Here’s before and after.

It is a whole lot smoother inside now, reseasoned and put to work. :)!

Attached Thumbnails

• 8272C9FB-5FFA-4C70-BD0F-25D3F86F3AFC.jpeg
  • 85C01F75-ACA2-4A50-ABB5-888017A40209.jpeg
  • 0E0E4A97-00C2-49FD-86C4-96D9FDA127A8.jpeg
  • 7C013183-9C8F-4646-8440-92CD00332F03.jpeg

Edited by My3kidsfather, October 30, 2017 - 09:54 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#22 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 09:58 PM

After using this pan it is great for larger suppers, as intended for first my pan, would you look for a number 8 for one or two steaks or smaller, a 6 or 7 instead?

Edited by My3kidsfather, October 30, 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#23 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,651 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 10:18 PM

My 8" (some indeterminate old brand) is what I use for eggs and sausage. We rarely cook less than four steaks, usually New York Strips, so I always use the 12" Lodge for that. Enjoy your new addiction!

• oldedeeres and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 8,525 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 02:01 PM

When our family was all still at home and it felt like I was cooking for an army, I had both and felt like I needed more.  You can never have too many good tools, why not get them both?  You won't regret it.

• SupplySergeant, Jazz and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#25 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 08:43 PM

When our family was all still at home and it felt like I was cooking for an army, I had both and felt like I needed more. You can never have too many good tools, why not get them both? You won't regret it.

Of course you are right, whatever is available first will be next. Oldedeeres, do you have a favorite dish you would share?

Edited by My3kidsfather, November 02, 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#26 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 8,525 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 01:21 AM

Here is one that my boys thought was great. I could pop it in the oven in a cast iron Dutch oven at low heat at noon when we were combining and it would be ready when they got off the bus after school and we were still in the field. They could feed themselves and there would be leftovers for us when we got in late at night.

Brown seasoned ground beef or pork with onions in the Dutch oven, thoroughly mix in twice as much raw rice as meat and cover very thickly with sauerkraut, then drown the whole potful with tomato juice. Completely cover the kraut with juice and make sure it runs through to the bottom of the pot. Lots of juice. No measurements of course, it's all done by proportions depending on the size of the pot , number of people eating it, and how well you like sauerkraut.  The main thing to remember is that the rice will swell, so don't fill the pot to the top or it will run over and make a heck of a mess. I learned quickly that if there was any doubt,  put a cookie sheet under the Dutch oven to catch the overflow. Put the lid on the pot and it can simmer away for hours at low heat in the oven. I never had to worry about leftovers In those days, but I have found out in the last couple of years that it freezes very well....somehow I never seem to be able to make a small pot full. Might have to learn how to measure the ingredients,  lol.

• KennyP, SupplySergeant, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#27 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,111 Thanks
  • 1,314 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 08:17 PM

Sounds yummy. We make our sauerkraut so I will get a pot of this going next week. People would have fewer gut complaints if they ate fermented vegetables.  I doubt type of rice is critical for recipe.  Got a bag of black rice. Flavour is nice, different from our usual Basmati rice.

Edited by Jazz, November 03, 2017 - 08:19 PM.

• My3kidsfather said thank you

#28 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 8,525 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 10:05 PM

We always used regular white rice, but lately I'm liking  Thai Red.  It has a richer flavour, almost  wheat like. 

• My3kidsfather said thank you

#29 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Twenty years ago my brotherinlaw and sisterinlaw made a long trip thru Asia.. when they got back theywere all about Thailand jasmine-scented white rice. Said it has the best smell, flavour of the rices. We have been using it ever since. Good flavour. If that sounds interesting look for bags that actually say jasmine scented rice on the bag.

Edited by My3kidsfather, November 04, 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#30 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • 65 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Here is one that my boys thought was great. I could pop it in the oven in a cast iron Dutch oven at low heat at noon when we were combining and it would be ready when they got off the bus after school and we were still in the field. They could feed themselves and there would be leftovers for us when we got in late at night.

Brown seasoned ground beef or pork with onions in the Dutch oven, thoroughly mix in twice as much raw rice as meat and cover very thickly with sauerkraut, then drown the whole potful with tomato juice. Completely cover the kraut with juice and make sure it runs through to the bottom of the pot. Lots of juice. No measurements of course, it's all done by proportions depending on the size of the pot , number of people eating it, and how well you like sauerkraut.  The main thing to remember is that the rice will swell, so don't fill the pot to the top or it will run over and make a heck of a mess. I learned quickly that if there was any doubt,  put a cookie sheet under the Dutch oven to catch the overflow. Put the lid on the pot and it can simmer away for hours at low heat in the oven. I never had to worry about leftovers In those days, but I have found out in the last couple of years that it freezes very well....somehow I never seem to be able to make a small pot full. Might have to learn how to measure the ingredients,  lol.

Sounds good. I like tomato with anything. As soon as i acquire a good dutch oven it will be made.