ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 12:23 PM

OK, garlic and bulbils.

For those that don't know what  garlic bulbil is, it is the tiny little clove-like looking thing inside a mature garlic scape...that curved flower-looking thing that comes out in June from the centre of a hard-neck variety that some people call flowers, but it's not a flower.  Now, we usually clip them off to send more energy to the growing bulb underground, but in 2016 we left one go and harvested the mature scape and the bulbils inside.

Why?  They say, that propagating the bulbil, which is a clone of the parent and not a DNA combination of two parents, once matured, will be superior to the original parent in both size, quality and disease resistance.  Sounds like a good plan right?  Well it can take 4 years to achieve this...which brings us to the fall of 2016.  Now, I grow utterly fantastic garlic.  I mean, it is pure gold and have had many comments from garlic lovers that what I have (and I've been doing this for over 25 years perfecting what I have), is a superior product.  But...one always like to try to do better.

So last year in the fall of 2016 I planted a number of the tiny bulbils.  They are the size of a ball-point pen tip.  I actually thought they were a write-off, but lo and behold...success!!!  As I said already, this can be a 3-4 year process, successive plantings to finally achieve a large adult that rivals the original parent.  These will be re-planted this fall and will be year 2!

After year 2, I expect bigger "rounds" which is a singular round garlic clove.  Year 3 may product either another larger round, or a small cloved-garlic.  Year 4 should be the keeper. Stay tuned!!!

Below is a pic of the 25 little rounds from 2016 bulbils.

Attached Thumbnails

• q6.jpg

• KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 604 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 01:14 PM

Interesting post. I enjoy garlic in food although some store bought rounds are not the best flavor.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 01:53 PM

This is great!!  I planted my garlic last week, and have planted bulbils in the past. My nemesis, quack grass , has always cut short the bulbil experiment , but if I get some next year I'll pursue the project again. As a side note, have you ever googled M&M Garlic?  They have developed a commercial garlic business and are my neighbours.  Their pickled garlic scapes are delicious.... who knew you could pickle them?

• KennyP and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#4 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi Oldedeeres, I just checked out their site.  Good story, going from 35 lbs to 1200 lbs per year.  At an organic local grown garlic price of $10/lb, that is a fine crop!

Would love to see Dave's homemade garlic seeder!!!  I would love to do what they are doing.  Just need some more land!

As for pickled scapes.  We do them for us and our neighbours who we have given our progeny and they grow some 55 lbs each year themselves.  Here are ours, I have 2 jars left.  I am not a huge fan of them as pickles, something about the texture seems weird, but I do love them cut up in small pieces in a potato salad.  Pic is second last jar we have (we have 4 jars each year pickled), this is a tall 750 mL jar.

Attached Thumbnails

• q7.jpg

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 05:44 PM

​I hope someone understand all those fancy words being thrown about as I have no clue what your talking about.  I know what garlic is but seldom if ever use it.

• Cvans said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 07:24 PM

​I hope someone understand all those fancy words being thrown about as I have no clue what your talking about. 

:ditto:

#7 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 269 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 10:55 AM

Perhaps you can share some tips on growing garlic?  I have never had much success with it.

Regards,

Doug

• ShotgunWedding said thank you

#8 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 04:58 PM

I could write up a primer on what I do, which is not to imply it is the only way.  I have pretty good success, so there are at least some things correct.  I will start a new topic!!!

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Doug E. have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 05:53 AM

I love garlic and it doesnt grow for nothing in my garden... i have yet to get anything decent soooo Im all ears and eyes on this subject!