#1 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 08:09 AM

Had a glorious weekend weather wise, so it was time to get potatoes in before the rain begins which will be all week long.

As usual for 2017 garden season, we did some more experimentation with two new varieties this year.  For years we grew Tolaas potatoes, which seemed to suit us quite well.  Last years crop sucked, and Tolaas was removed from all of our seed suppliers for 2017 which makes me think there was a problem with the potato last year.

This year we grew two different varieties, both are supposed to be good French frying potatoes (we do quite a bit of Lake Eroe fishing and enjoy our catch with fresh-cut fries).  We tried Shepody and Bridget.

Shepody: Larger than other varieties, good yield 12 potatoes per plant.  Plant was earlier than Bridget.  Oblong and dense.

Bridget:  More of a round-oblong potato, not as long or large as Shepody.  Good yield in 10-13 potatoes per plant.  Heavier netting on potato.

Both were fried up for a test and we seem to like the Shepody slightly better, but both make am awesome fry!!

Both varieties were 10 plants each.  Note the one picture of the huge potato, this plant had one potato only, this monstrosity that was hollow inside probably due to it's mutant size. 

Here are some pics, with the tractor in the shot just because!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• q4.jpg
  • q3.jpg
  • q2.jpg
  • q1.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,894 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 08:47 AM

Nice crop! I love fries! And fried taters. And mashed taters. And tater salad. And baked taters.

• Cvans, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 09:57 AM

I love fries! And fried taters. And mashed taters. And tater salad. And baked taters.

Fresh potatoes are hard to beat in anything.  

• oldedeeres and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 10:14 AM

That's a pretty fancy yield for ten plants each, I'm envious!  We had a very wet spring and last fall too, so planting was delayed, and then a dry summer kind of sneaked in on me so I didn't water the spuds at all. My heaviest yielders were an unnamed variety of solid purple I got from a neighbour, followed by what I suspect from the appearance is Yukon Gold, then my old stand by, Russet.  Somehow I didn't get my favourite red, Sange, and my second choice, A.C. Perigrine, planted at all this year.  The solid purples have a wonderful flavour, but make very odd looking fresh French fries. I love them baked and can overlook the colour .

• Alc and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,006 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 11:52 AM

​Didn't plant potatoes this year as the store price is very reasonable and less than what we can raise.  Getting older and like work a lot less so harder to keep the rows cleaned out.

• ShotgunWedding said thank you

#6 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 12:07 PM

True that commercial potatoes are quite cheap, but...did you know how much field fungicides for potatoes is used every year?  A lot.  I used to work for a company that made some, it is big business.  Also, herbicides that are sprayed on commercial potatoes in storage to stop them from sprouting...as no one wants to buy sprouting potatoes in a a store. the pesticide residue on commercial potatoes is quite alarming.

So...I will keep digging until the wheelchair gets stuck.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 03:23 PM

That's pretty impressive. Fresh fish and chips are tough to beat.

#8 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,321 Thanks
  • 1,477 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 07:48 PM

very nice crop of taters you have there