• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • Member No: 87401
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 06:41 PM

I really needed a wheel barrow but I bought a 1974 24/14 with a loader instead. But as soon as I got it home I realized it was not in usable condition. Bad tranny, brakes don't work, loader frame kinda busted up. The only thing good on it was the engine that I decided not to use. Yeah, go figure. So it is now stripped to the bare frame while it undergoes a transformation into what I think I want it to be. And that is, to be a little loader/ backhoe. Nothing else. No 3 point hitch, no electric clutch, no drive off the front of the engine.

So I decided to go with the 22 horse Predator from Harbor Freight. Nice motor.

IMG_1471.JPG

It has the correct bolt pattern for the PK bellhousing but there are some tweaks needed. First, the bolt pads inside the PK bellhousing are not flat! I can't imagine why they didn't machine these correctly but I just spent an hour with a die grinder an played with them until the bolts sat fairly flat.

IMG_1563.JPG

I then bolted the bellhousing on only to discover there is too much play in the bolt holes. The bellhousing needs to be centered better than the holes will provide. But there is a centering ring on the back of the engine, just smaller than the PK bellhousing needs. So I had my local machinist make up a spacer. He used aluminum, 7.0 OD, 5.75 ID, .135 thick. Fit perfect.

IMG_1562.JPG

Then, using a set of mounting holes just inboard of the spacer and fender washers it is easily secured.

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

Now it is ready for assembly with some new stuff!

IMG_1571.JPG

Ugh! Why does this thing turn all the photos sideways??????
  • Gtractor, HowardsMF155, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,781 Thanks
  • 1,256 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:22 PM

Intersting I'll be follow your progress looks good so far.

• boyscout862 and S76 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,791 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 08:40 PM

Ugh! Why does this thing turn all the photos sideways??????

Because the new owners don't like us.    :smashing_pc:

• shorty, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 09:23 PM

​Right on Kris but they sure like the money we bring to them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 05:40 PM

I think the pics went sideways due to Russian collusion. LOL

#6 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 06:00 PM

Pulled the front axle apart today. Washed it all up to find the main beam was bent. Took it to a nearby truck place. They let me use the press to straighten it. With that big hole drilled in the center of the beam it actually was easily bent back straight. I also noticed the front axle pivot bearings and the spindle bushings are all the same size so I ordered 6 needle bearings to replace them all and some pancake bearings for the bottom of the spindle.

FYI
The pancake bearing is a Timken T113 for $18 ea. on eBay and the front axle pivot needle bearings are Torrington B-1816 for $9 ea. on Amazon. You will probably find a different brand but by using these numbers you will get something comparable.

I also had some more damage to the front axle and will post it up as soon as I complete the repair.

My motto...."As good as new is not good enough."
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,496 Thanks
  • 9,327 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 08:18 AM

I find it interesting that at one time no one would have a Chinee POS engine. Now there are some exception. The same thing happened back when with woodworkers and Taiwanese stationary power tools. Now, some of the best tools are made by Jet and others.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 11:09 AM

I find it interesting that at one time no one would have a Chinee POS engine. Now there are some exception. The same thing happened back when with woodworkers and Taiwanese stationary power tools. Now, some of the best tools are made by Jet and others.

History repeats itself. I was working for Toyota when they were first coming into this country. You would not believe the comments we had to put up with. "Just more Japanese Junk".  :(  

Edited by Cvans, October 25, 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#9 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Here is the front axle beef up because it was bent. Actually it was bent forward, so I suspect at some point it got stuck in the mud and they put a chain around the axle and pulled.

IMG_1574.JPG

This one out of the two front axle beef ups. I will post the second one when I get it finished.

"As good as new is not good enough." :-)

Edited by S76, October 25, 2017 - 07:58 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 08:01 PM

The biggest complaint I found on these Predator engines is poor parts support. But the guy at Harbor Freaight told me to just go order some Honda engine parts as it is an exact copy.

#11 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 08:23 PM

This is the backhoe that will go on the PK. It is a little heavy for the PK @ 500 lbs.

IMG_1569.JPG

Therefore I want the backhoe to be frame mounted rather than 3 point mounted. The advantages are it will be a much stronger mount, plus a frame mount will position the hoe much further forward for better weight distribution. About 12 to 14 inches further forward actually.

This is the 2x4x1/4 beam that will be the top mount for the hoe.

IMG_1575.JPG

I also double reinforced the frame with an internal rectangular beam to take the strain of the hoe.

IMG_1566.JPG

That's it for today. Hope to get the front axle pivot beef up done tomorrow.
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#12 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 02:43 PM

Got a little more done on the PK.

Got the front axle pivot beef up done. Yeah, I know, I can't weld worth a hoot. But it is still way stronger than original.

IMG_1583.JPG

Got the tranny(s) rebuilt. All new bearings. Etc.

IMG_1590.JPG

And his was today's mod. Bet you can't guess what it is.

IMG_1586.JPG

I read about people having to disassemble their final drives, or an attach bolt getting into the bull gear due to the bolts coming loose. With this mod I can easily tighten up the final drive mounting bolts without disassembly should they loosen.

IMG_1587.JPG

And, they will be double nutted too so I had to get longer bolts.

IMG_1589.JPG

Now I will mock assemble the tractor to see what fits and what doesn't. I know the hood will require major mods and I doubt the gas tank will fit at all. So I need to get it together to see what's what.

Bob
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#13 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Working on doing a mock assembly just to see how things are going to fit. Here is the power train.

Hood and gas tank and are going to be an issue for sure.

IMG_1591.JPG

Setting up new motor mounts.

IMG_1592.JPG

All lined up!

IMG_1593.JPG

This thing will have motor bulging out from under the hood.

IMG_1594.JPG

Tomorrow I'll get the motor bolted in and start the hood rework.
  • KennyP, MNGB and Glenn Ayers have said thanks

#14 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:26 PM

Everybody ready for more crooked pictures? WTF?

Anyway I got the hood on and the factory cutout for the carb/air filter was in a perfect spot to make room for the valve cover and spark plug.

IMG_1597.JPG

So I just made an exact one on the other side.

IMG_1596.JPG

Gas tank mount has to be moved 1/2 up and fwd but the tank retains its original position. Headlights aren't going to fit though.

IMG_1598.JPG

I had to trim the side rails to get past the engine, and now they are too weak so they need a beefup somehow. But notice the steering box mount. When I double walled the frame I welded up all the holes I wasn't going to use. It was the perfect way to tie the inner tube to the outer tube. But I accidentally welded up two of the steering box mount holes. Oops! So today I relocated the mount to redrill those holes and found that that mount can be angled a little, which moves the steering wheel 3 inches toward the center line of the tractor. Why not? Lol

IMG_1599.JPG

That's all for today.
  • Cat385B and MNGB have said thanks

#15 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 58 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 06:39 PM

Today I tackled what is probably the biggest problem with using the Predator engine in your Power King. The oil cooler is mounted on the side of the engine and gets some cooling air from the shroud.

IMG_1613.JPG

But it is right in the way of the front grill braces that run back to the dash so it had to be moved. I decided to mount it in front of the cooling air inlet but an inch or so away so not to block the intake. Had to make a bracket.

IMG_1614.JPG

Then mount the cooler. Need to get some longer hoses.

IMG_1612.JPG

Believe it or not that little chore took all afternoon. :-)
  • Cvans and MNGB have said thanks