6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:53 AM

​Dried up enough to get back into the garden yesterday.  Cut a bunch of the small pumpkins open for the goats.  Chopped up some cucs for the goats and roosters.  Then got the H16XL with front blade and started in.  Shoved everything left up in a big pile in the corner our of the way.  Had to cut the tomato vines off to get the cages off.  It all pushed up and cleared in good shape.  Have a few scattered cucs, squash and pumpkins left to pick up and will be ready for the plow.  Was threatening rain so didn't take time to get pics.  Just got back to the shop when it started raining.  Got over an inch out of it last night.  Won't be any one in the fields for a couple days.  

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,003 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 09:42 AM

I cleared our back garden a couple days ago except a few beans that will probably be done for later this week.  Turned it yesterday, need to finish turning the front garden as soon as the 2" rain we got last night soaks in & dries enough!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 12:23 PM

​We got that same rain.  One long string of thunder storms for sure.  Was to wet to turn yet as was picking up a lot on the tires.  Ag's wasn't even biting in good.

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,368 Thanks
  • 3,264 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 12:44 PM

I got mine finished yesterday too. I got most of it done last week but still had some tomatoes & a few zucchini's left. I've got some cow manure lined up for next week, we got a lot of rain coming for the next few days.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 01:32 PM

​​Got some pics a while ago.   I used manure one year and had more weeds than I ever had so no more of that.  Got the hay from the neighbor and used the goat manure the next fall.  Cannot control what goes in to the hay. Will put a bag of 10-10-10 on before I plow it.

SAM_0408.JPG   SAM_0409.JPG   SAM_0410.JPG   The white spot at the top right of the first two pics is about1/2 mile away.  Came from a building that was 1/2 mile the opposite direction.         

Edited by chieffan, October 22, 2017 - 01:36 PM.

• grnspot110, KennyP and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#6 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 401 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 07:45 AM

Nice clean up!!!  Do you do a quick till in the fall or wait until the spring?

• chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 10:11 AM

Nice clean up!!!  Do you do a quick till in the fall or wait until the spring?

Will run over the grassy spots with the mower dropped clear down, then plow it.  Next spring will let the first batch of weeds get about 1' or so, then spray with Round-up.  Then will put the fertilizer on  right before I disk it.  Then I till it as needed for planting.  Use a lot of Preen, especially around the vineing plants. Had a problem with new Pumpkin seeds this year.  Big Moon, planted 3 times about 2 weeks apart.  Nothing grew.  Planted 6 seeds from an 2 year old pumpkin the granddaughter saved and they all grew.  To much rain to get them thinned down right so had a bunch of soccer ball size but nothing big.

Edited by chieffan, October 24, 2017 - 10:14 AM.

• grnspot110 said thank you