6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:41 AM

​Was given to me last fall.  Would not run.  Had spark but no fuel getting through.  $10 replaced the carb.  Worked good, started easy and had plenty of air volume.  Use fuel stabilizer in everything.  Haven't used it this summer.  Got it out, dumped the gas, put in fresh mix - won't start.  Spark looks good, tried a new plug, flooding out.  Has good compression, still has spark but floods all the time.  Guess I need to put another carb on  it.  Any thoughts?

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 990 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:59 AM

If its flooding out its definitely carb related, if its new though you should be able to adjust it. 

If you want to try and get it fired up anyway, pull the plug and dry it, while the plug is out pull it over a few times to dry it up inside, put the plug back in but hold the throttle wide open while trying to start it. It will get more air then fuel that way. Once its running you may find that it clears up. Its a 2 smoke from what I read and it had gas in it.....That gas evaporates and leaves behind oil, if your carb was leaking at all you may have an excess amount of fuel/oil in your crankcase. 

If it starts up sputtering and smoking like mad , let it clear up and rev up....its the excessive oil in your crank case. 

• boyscout862, chieffan and RustyB have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Thanks much.  Will give that a try.  The holes in those tiny carb are so small it don't pay to try and clean them.  If air or carb cleaner don't do it, I put a new one on. Carb has those special adjusting screws.  Tools available from Chine direct.

Edited by chieffan, October 22, 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 01:40 PM

​That didn't work.  Pulled it about 15 times with throttle wide open,  Not so much as a putt.  Going to have to get into where the coil is and see if there is something there as the plug was real wet.  I think it is showing spark with the plug out but won't fire with it in under pressure.  Typical Champion plug but they didn't have NGK.  I have very poor luck and a lot less faith in Champion Spark plugs, especially in a 2 cycle.  

Edited by chieffan, October 22, 2017 - 01:41 PM.

• John Arsenault said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 02:49 PM

How old is the blower? It might have a bad reed valve if it's old enough to have 1.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:19 PM

​That I don't know.  It don't look very old, red plastic case around the engine.  Will do some checking on the labels and see what I can find.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 05:38 PM

​Worked on it a couple hours this afternoon again.  Carb and intake block off the cylinder, muffler off.  Pulled the end cap off the crank housing and had a bunch of oil in it.  Cleaned it out good with carb cleaner and air.  Put a drill on the end of the crank and spun it over a bunch to get as much oil out as possible.  Put it back together.  Checked for spark and it was good.  Put it all back together and tried to start it, no primer bulb pumps, just the choke on full for 3 pulls, went to half choke and another 15 pulls - nothing.  Put the drill on the fly wheel again and spun it good for at least 10 seconds.  Dead as a door nail.  Pulled the plug and it was soaked.  At this point I am saying it is the "new" Champion plug. Will pick up a NGK plug and try that.  If that don't get it running it goes in the dump, after the big hammer finds it.  Darn Crapsman junk anyway.

• KennyP said thank you