• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 09:30 PM

Hi all,  Found this push mower a couple weeks ago at a semi local antique shop when I was looking for a birthday gift for my mom.  

When I first saw it he had taken the engine off and had it sitting on a shelf in the corner and I didn't notice it until he mentioned he had it when I asked about the Maytag engines he had in one of the other rooms.  I didn't buy it at the time but I've been thinking about it and looking for info on it since.  This morning I decided to go see if he still had it and what I could get it for.  I came home a little lighter in the wallet but happy.

20171021_214203.jpeg

20171021_214143.jpeg

20171021_214157.jpeg

It's a twin cylinder Maytag vertical shaft and the tag says Velva-Cut made by Turpinorr MFG out of Kansas City, MO.  

It's in decent shape for its age but isn't perfect.  The 2 front wheels are missing pieces and theres 2 spots where the aluminium deck has chunks missing and a crack coming from one of them, and its missing the blade which is probably going to be impossible to replace. I spent a few minuets tonight tinkering on it to see if it would start.  It doesn't have any spark so I need to check the points.  Hopefully its that and its not because the engine is like the new push mowers that need a blade on them to spin fast enough to spark and start.

The blade would be nice to replace so I can at least try it but once I get it running I plan on just cleaning it up a little and  taking it to the shows as I've never seen another one like it before.           Stewart

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, B10Dave and 10 others have said thanks

#2 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 456 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 10:59 PM

Very cool!  I love antique stores.....you never know what you'll find there.

• diesel nut, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,063 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 12:24 AM

That is very unique Stewart, it looks like it landed here or something the Jetsons would have owned very cool. Good eye.

Edited by HANKG, October 22, 2017 - 12:27 AM.

• diesel nut, boyscout862 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,500 Thanks
  • 9,328 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 07:09 AM

​Really?     Your Mom wanted a Maytag engine?    You give some creative gifts.

• KennyP and diesel nut have said thanks

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,605 Thanks
  • 2,722 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 08:57 AM

Even just cleaned up , that would look great at a show. Nice find.

• diesel nut said thank you

#6 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,099 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 05:46 PM

Never seen one until today and now I've seen two lol, Kenny just posted some show pics and in them is a two wheel'd version, cool mower for sure
  • KennyP and diesel nut have said thanks

#7 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,378 Thanks
  • 815 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Neat looking engine!

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks all.  I like it and when things calm down a little at work I'll bring it in and put it on the bench so I can pull the flywheel and see if cleaning the points will make it run.  It needs a piece of rubber hose for the air mixture screw and its missing most of the blade setup.  The piece of it I do have looks like it might have been a centrifugal cone clutch?  Wasn't too concerned about it because I didn't plan on using it much or at all for actual mowing, just have it so it runs when I take it to the shows to display. 

​Really?     Your Mom wanted a Maytag engine?    You give some creative gifts.

I do try to find unique or creative gifts but I ended up getting her whats called a Betty lamp for if she starts going to Civil War reenactments again.  It looks almost like this one except not as fancy. Just a tarnished brass colorbetty lamp.jpg

Originally it would have used like whale or fish oil and you put some sort of wick in the end of the spout.  I think it holds maybe 1/4-1/3 of a cup of oil.  From what I read about them now people use vegetable or olive oil in them

• LilysDad said thank you

#9 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 09:56 PM

I think I've seen a couple Maytag engine on a mower like that didn't catch the names though. say were is that exhaust going!?! I wouldn't  want to mow dry grass with it if it goes strait down!! yeah seriously though I've herd hundreds of accounts of people getting there newly restored Maytag running but it will never run again due to week magnets (or something spark related) unless you have a magnet charger of some sort its going to be pretty hard to get running. I've herd some people stick a thin rare earth magnet on top of the existing magnet but your going to have to ask someone who knows a little more about Maytags than me to answer that question!!

#10 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 10:24 PM

The exhaust does dump straight down at the back of the deck.  I didn't think about weak magnets.  I'll have to look into that when I have the flywheel off.  Fortunately I have a magnet charger I borrowed years ago from my great uncle before he passed, when I was working on my Farmall F-12 magneto and when I was done and told him I could bring it back he told me to keep it so he would know where it was.  Worst case I'll have to get a couple adapter blocks made to go from the flat squares of the charger to the curved flywheel.

#11 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 10:32 PM

The exhaust does dump straight down at the back of the deck.  I didn't think about weak magnets.  I'll have to look into that when I have the flywheel off.  Fortunately I have a magnet charger I borrowed years ago from my great uncle before he passed, when I was working on my Farmall F-12 magneto and when I was done and told him I could bring it back he told me to keep it so he would know where it was.  Worst case I'll have to get a couple adapter blocks made to go from the flat squares of the charger to the curved flywheel.

well as long as you got good magnets good coils i don't see a reason why it won't run!! please do a video of it running it looks like its going to be great!

#12 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 11:22 AM

Found this advertisement for it last night on yesterdays tractor

maytag velva cut.jpg

• Bob White12 said thank you

#13 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 11:26 PM

Found this advertisement for it last night on yesterdays tractor

attachicon.gifmaytag velva cut.jpg

So they had an electric option I would defiantly take the Maytag one but I wonder if there are many electric ones still around 

#14 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 06:49 AM

I got a two cylinder Maytag from a fellow some years ago with no spark.  All it took was a good cleaning of the points and it runs great.

Edited by earthgrinder, October 26, 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#15 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 12:31 PM

So they had an electric option I would defiantly take the Maytag one but I wonder if there are many electric ones still around 

I'd take the Maytag too but wouldn't say no to an electric one cause you just don't see those of any brand very often.   There's probably even fewer of the electric ones left than the gas ones.  

I got a two cylinder Maytag from a fellow some years ago with no spark.  All it took was a good cleaning of the points and it runs great.

That's what I'm hoping is all that's wrong with it.  I've had more than a few of mine that were running great when I put them away for the winter and had no spark when I got them out in the spring, and all but a couple just needed the points cleaned.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to go over it and see in the next couple weeks.

• earthgrinder said thank you