#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,501 Thanks
  • 9,330 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 08:35 PM

I have an M321 in an Ingersoll 3014. It's time to do a seasonal oil change and I would like to know if there is a synthetic oil viscosity grade that is sufficient to use year around. I live in N. Illinois.

#2 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 09:27 PM

I would think 10w30 would suffice. Only thing I see happening is oil usage will probably go up. I believe the manual says 10w30 on the list. If you can't find anything on the M14, a K321 is the same engine except electronic ignition.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • LilysDad said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,878 Thanks
  • 2,150 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 01:01 AM

There's so much talk about proper oils to use and it can drive you nuts. Engines with flat tappet camshafts need an oil with high zinc content. Zinc levels in conventional engine oil has been reduced due to the build up of zinc in catalytic converters. On our old flat tappet engines, we need to use oil specifically designed for these engines if we want them to last. You can put zinc additive in conventional oil, but it's just easier to buy the correct oil. Viscosity is another issue all together. The oil needs to be thin enough in cold weather for the splash lube engines without oil pumps to oil correctly. Even engines with oil pumps will struggle to pump the oil properly when cold if the oil is too thick. Small engines without oil filters need their oil changed more often, also. So, in my opinion, I don't think that there is one year round use oil that is ideal if you have frigid winters and hot summers. High zinc content oil of the correct viscosity for the ambient temp is the best way to go. Synthetic oils do not absorb heat like conventional oils. You wouldn't want to use synthetic oil in an air cooled engine with an oil cooler like an old VW. The conventional oil pulls heat from the engine parts and takes that he to the cooler. Everybody seems to have their opinion about what oil to use, but there are facts that can't be overlooked. Keeping the oil clean and up to level is as important as using the correct oil.
  • boyscout862, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks