• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 456 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 11:37 PM

This is turning out to be a pretty up front and inexpensive project so far.  I got the steel, 2, 12" pieces of 1"x2" rectangular tube for the engine mounts and everything lines up perfectly from what I can tell so far.  I ended up going with 3/4" 4140 Chromoly (annealed) because it will work great for a shaft application and when it's pre-heated it'll take a weld just fine.  I removed the old driveshaft, and from what I can tell the drive-line angle is exactly what it was with the Kohler K532.  I'm just waiting on the stub shaft for the Command (which should be in tomorrow from epay).  At that point I can measure how long I'll need the driveshaft to be and I'll take it to my welder and have him get it just right......these guys to top notch work at great prices.  After I mount the engine and the new driveshaft is lined up with the old flanges welded onto it, the only thing left to do to get it up and running and driving will be the wiring harness.  I will be doing all of the cosmetics and getting it looking nice and clean and original with a fresh coat and any other wear parts will be replaced.

• KennyP, dualresponse1731 and pryan05 have said thanks

#17 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 456 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 11:27 PM

Here are a few more updates.  I got the plastic parts all cleaned and shined up and they look like brand new.  Also, I found a brand new 1-1/8" stub shaft for the 23HP Kohler Command on ebay and I now have it on my workbench.  I should have waited rather than order the 1" stub shaft that I mentioned in my previous post, but oh well, it was cheap.  I will be getting the engine in and taking measurements for the driveshaft next once everything is in place.  After that it's time to have my new drive shaft welded up and the only thing left to do will be to wire the engine up and work on cosmetics and little wear parts that need replaced. 

Also, here's a 6 pack of Rustoleum Ford Blue at Home Depot for only $13.40!!!  I got 2 cases for this project.....that's 12 cans.  What a deal!

https://www.homedepo...ASABEgKP0PD_BwE

Edited by jpswift1, November 14, 2017 - 11:28 PM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 05:59 AM

That is a good price on the paint. I found a bunch of Vansickle "Ford Red" paint on sale for $1.47 one time. I wasnt even aware that ford red was a real color. I bought 6 cans, havent used any of it yet.