• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• Member No: 3616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:42 PM

You guys were such a great help with my last problem that the only place for more help is this site and forum!
Mowing down below in my ravine I disengaged the PTO to stop and move some wood. Went to engage the PTO and nothing happened. Tried this a few times and completey shut her down to check around to see if maybe the deck belt had broke, etc. Got back on to start her up and the classic drained battery sound and clicking, and after that nothing. So I took the battery out,covered her up for the evening and put the battery on a charger for the night. So my question is does this sound like just a weak or dead battery? If the battery is weak or on the verge of going dead will this cause the PTO to not engage?
Thanks for your replies and suggestions in advance!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Those magnetic clutches take some juice. It sounds like the charging circuit isn't working right or the battery / solenoid has a bad connection.

If it works OK in the morning, better do the usual checks for charging ( voltage before starting, after starting and at half throttle) you should see a full charge before starting, a little drop at idle following starting, and a steady rise to 13.5+ at half throttle.

Also check with the PTO engaged, if it's dropping with the PTO, you have a charging problem.

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:53 PM

Those clutches do need the battery to work. If you belive the battery is on it's way out i would take it to a local auto store and let them test it. If the battery tests fine i would start looking at the charging system make sure everything is getting a good conection and working as it should.

#4 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Those magnetic clutches take some juice. It sounds like the charging circuit isn't working right or the battery / solenoid has a bad connection.

If it works OK in the morning, better do the usual checks for charging ( voltage before starting, after starting and at half throttle) you should see a full charge before starting, a little drop at idle following starting, and a steady rise to 13.5+ at half throttle.

Also check with the PTO engaged, if it's dropping with the PTO, you have a charging problem.

Thank you!

#5 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 11:08 AM

I charged my battery on a trickle charger last night after taking it out. Took it over to my local Auto Zone and they checked it out and it had a reading of around 12.7. I have not put the battery back in yet but will do so tonight when I get back from work. Will keep you posted about what is happening with the system. Thanks again to all for responding to my post.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 11:15 AM

Did they not do a load test on the battery? One can show a good voltage, but drop off sharply when a load is applied. Once a good battery is placed in the tractor, use a volt meter to read the shut off voltage. Then crank the tractor & run at full rpm's & re-check the voltage. It should raise by at least one full volt, preferably more.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I charged my battery on a trickle charger last night after taking it out. Took it over to my local Auto Zone and they checked it out and it had a reading of around 12.7. I have not put the battery back in yet but will do so tonight when I get back from work. Will keep you posted about what is happening with the system. Thanks again to all for responding to my post.

12.7 volt reading on a battery that's stood at rest for an hr or more indicates full charge in the battery, 12.6 to 12.7 is full charge, and should not drop at all the next day, battery at rest not used.
As said above next step is load test if that shows good battery is good.
Put it in the tractor and start the engine, take readings at idle and full throttle, should see a rise in voltage, if not charging circuit not working. (as said above)

#8 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:52 AM

12.7 volt reading on a battery that's stood at rest for an hr or more indicates full charge in the battery, 12.6 to 12.7 is full charge, and should not drop at all the next day, battery at rest not used.
As said above next step is load test if that shows good battery is good.
Put it in the tractor and start the engine, take readings at idle and full throttle, should see a rise in voltage, if not charging circuit not working. (as said above)

Thanks for the reply and sorry for getting back so late. I put the battery back in my tractor after a few days of using my trickel charger on and off. She started right up but I have no means of tetsing the voltage....unless I go and buy a tester...which I probably should. Lets say after an hour of mowing I run into the same problem. Would this be an indication of a bad alternator and if so what's involved with changing it?
Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Yes, you need a meter. Without some information, help will be more speculation than anything... It does sound as if you have a charging problem, but before you buy a bunch of parts you dont need, you should probably buy a MultiMeter.

Arguably the best on the market is a Fluke, but you aren't making a living with it, and there is no reason to go broke here. If you are in the States, I would order one from Harbor freight. I personally have several of these units

http://www.harborfre...lt?q=Multimeter

And keep one in my vehicles, junk drawer etc. If I smoke one, I am not out much and they are accurate enough for what I am doin 99% of the time.

Edited by MH81, July 06, 2011 - 07:08 AM.