63 replies to this topic

#16 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks DH1 .... so you say early 12's had hydraulic cylinder that ran off the hydro?

And later had electric lift ?

Did M12G have any lift options?

#17 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thanks DH1 .... so you say early 12's had hydraulic cylinder that ran off the hydro?

And later had electric lift ?

Did M12G have any lift options?

They had a belt that ran forward from the engine to a small hyd. pump under the hood, the lever was in the same spot as the manual lift and it was attached to the control valve.
I think 10s and 12s both lifts, not sure when they stopped the hyd lift.

#18 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Also .... I asked the seller about the condition of the plastic trim rings .... he said there were no cracks because they were made from rubber. Any comments ???? Did AMF use two different materials when making trim rings ?
(I wanna know all about Masseys)

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:15 AM

Also .... I asked the seller about the condition of the plastic trim rings .... he said there were no cracks because they were made from rubber. Any comments ???? Did AMF use two different materials when making trim rings ?

Sounds like he was talking about the trim around the headlights themselves.
  • MF14 plowday special said thank you

#20 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hmmmmmm maybe the trim rings are gone ???? Thanks george

Its really tricky buying tractors over the phone without pictures !!!! I've driven a long ways a few times only to see and be disappointed.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hmmmmmm maybe the trim rings are gone ???? Thanks george

Its really tricky buying tractors over the phone without pictures !!!! I've driven a long ways a few times only to see and be disappointed.

Yep! They always look better in the pictures. Then a strange thing happens to me. Mysteriously, my eyesight becomes faulty. I fail utterly to see all the bad repairs and broken stuff. Rust and dirt seem to disappear and it looks in "better than average shape". This wears off gradually when I get it home as I take it apart and find all the stuff that's wrong. Oh well, in these parts old Massey's and JD's (my 2 favourite brands) are hard to come by. If I wait for a garage queen to come along I'll never get one.
  • MH81 said thank you

#22 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Brian ... been there done that ! Bought a package deal a month ago.... decks were not in the ad photo but I was told one was pretty nice and the other one not too good ..... so I drive two hours and when I get home I scrap two decks. The deal included two JD's without motors. Seller said one was a 200 series and the other was a 100 series .... so i ask which one had the electric lift .... he said "the 200 series" .... so when I got there he had a 110 sf and a 112 sf with electric lift. !!!!

#23 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:13 AM

If I take a pic to put in an ad .... I sometimes state that the pic may make the item appear to be in better condition than it actually is ....

.... then there are those sellers who hose down their tractors before taking the picture.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad2:

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Yep! They always look better in the pictures. Then a strange thing happens to me. Mysteriously, my eyesight becomes faulty. I fail utterly to see all the bad repairs and broken stuff. Rust and dirt seem to disappear and it looks in "better than average shape". This wears off gradually when I get it home as I take it apart and find all the stuff that's wrong. Oh well, in these parts old Massey's and JD's (my 2 favourite brands) are hard to come by. If I wait for a garage queen to come along I'll never get one.

That's funny.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hey MH ..... neighbor out there !!!

I called that Meadville number this morning. I asked three dozen questions then ask him what he would take. He said $350 was as low as he would go. There is a head missing on one engine and the other not verified. Only one starter also. I agree with the previous poster that $250 is plenty. It does sound like lots of good parts. I would offer $200. I'm out of money so called out of curiosity. There are too many verified running MF tractors around here for $300 or so

BTW is frame size of 10 and 12 the same? Is hood height the same ? .... I have not owned a 10 or 12 but it is a matter of time.

Hope you get them. I'm 67 miles to Meadville and must be a deal to drive that far.

It's a pile of parts, most of them I have already. They were not loved. Definitely not cared for.

As for the frames, they are basically the same on the gear drives, not so much on the Hydros.

Thanks for pointing out you are from PA, always great to have another PA'er here!

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Both bezels and dashes are bad, the one dash may be savable... But I don't know. He was talking about the trims... Around the headlights themselves, which are missing. The bracket is there tho :D

#27 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks .... I think I was calling trim ring .... what you call the bezel .... bezel would be the right part name... a friend called them a trim ring and so thats why I continued to do so. Its a BEZEL !!!

.... There is lots of high priced stuff out there to sell because it is collectable .... check out the $750 M14 on Pittsburgh craigslist.... been there a long time .... it may be collectable but I won't be collecting that one !

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Well, called him and came to a price we could both live with. A little more than I wanted to pay, but he's going to help load :D

Pics when they're home.

#29 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:08 AM

Good Deal Alan, I'm glad you got the hydro lift..

#30 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Great ... you saved him from loading it himself when he would have hauled it over to the scrapyard (Meadville Metals) where they would have paid him about $130 for the load.