• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 07:31 PM

I've been saving and collecting bits and pieces to build an Economy Farm King prototype tractor. The guy that I recently bought the Gibson parts tractor from, had this carcass of what appears to be a 1958ish Economy tractor. He came over with it on his trailer today and I had to drag it off the trailer with the Gibson. The rear end on the Economy tractor was locked up tight as a drum. Both brake bands were seized to the brake hubs, and the right axle bearings were rusted to the axle. I had to use heat to get the bearings to let go of the axle. The bull gear and axle are trash, but I just needed to free things up to roll it around. I was mainly after the frame, front axle, steering parts, seat mount, early front hubs, and the lift lever assembly. I have a good complete rear end disassembled for this project, along with 5 lug hubs and tall front spindles to put 24" rears on it. I'll have to stretch the frame about 6", drill out and tap the Wisconsin twin to bolt on the hogs head, and have a different crankshaft turned down to 1 1/8" on the PTO side to accept the flywheel. It doesn't appear all that hard to build this thing, but it will take some patients.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171018_133654-1.jpg
  • 20171018_120827-1.jpg
  • 20171018_134943-1_resized.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 07:42 PM

wow that thing is going to be pretty cool when you get it going I think i might have seen somethings similar at a show once. are you going to make it gear driven or how are you going hook the engine up to the axle? sorry I don't have any experience with these tractors   :poke:  

• HANKG and classic have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,055 Thanks
  • 3,324 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 07:43 PM

I like it already Ellis its going to be cooool...
  • classic said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 07:48 PM

The engine will hook up to the drivetraian the same as any other Economy tractor. A housing bolts to the back of the engine, then a bellhousing which contains the clutch assembly bolts to that. The transmission bolts to the bellhousing and then comes the driveshaft and torque tube. It's basically set up just like a car or truck.
  • KennyP, MNGB and Bob White12 have said thanks

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 07:54 PM

Here's a pic of the Farm King Prototype, and this pic was recently in LAGT magazine, I believe. I know where there is another Wisconsin twin that has the cowling that I need, but I have to see if it's still there.

Attached Thumbnails

• attachment-39.jpeg
  • IMG_0386-1.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 5 others have said thanks

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 09:59 PM

Hi classic glad to see your getting started this project I'll be following your progress, this is going to be interesting

• classic said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,760 Thanks
  • 44,545 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 05:43 AM

I'll be lurking too! Sounds like a fun build to watch!

• classic said thank you

#8 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 760 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 06:51 AM

It'll be a good winter project for sure.Looking forward to your posts on the progress. 

Admire everyone on here's creativity for design and building of equipment. I get many of my ideas from you all. 

• KennyP and classic have said thanks

#9 pianoman8t8 OFFLINE  

pianoman8t8
  • Member No: 88481
  • 14 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 08:23 AM

That's pretty sweet! 

• classic said thank you

#10 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 403 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 10:08 AM

Cool; I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as always! 

Two of my local friends have built a Farm King replica; the first being the closest representation of the original Farm King was done a few years ago by John Welbourne, nephew of Jim Turner. This tractor has the correct Wisconsin TF engine, 24" rear wheels and taller front spindles. 

Shortly there after John completed his, Tom Galauner wanted to make a spin-off of that tractor, but with 16" rear wheels and the shorter front spindles. His uses a similar looking, but slightly newer TJD engine with electric start. Both very well done tractors. 

Both tractors get alot of attention at local shows around here, especially side by side one another. 

If you'd like to pick either or both of their brains based on their lessons learned, I'd be happy to connect you with them as they'd both love to tell you about their completed projects.

Thanks, Rob

• KennyP, classic and MNGB have said thanks

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 12:02 PM

The idea of building one of these tractors came about after seeing that old picture of one. I figured that if I could gather up the parts for cheap over time, it would be worth doing. Most parts are things that have been laying around and the people that I got them from really have no use for them. The engine sat under a bench for years and it was offered to me a couple of years ago. I had no use for it, so I left it behind. I went back to the guys house this year, and he gave me a "one day only" sale price on it. We laughed when he said that, so I took it home. Luckily, I located another crankshaft that will work once turned down to accept the flywheel/clutch. This guy also has a couple of hacked up Economy tractor frames that I have to pick up for sections to lengthen my frame.
My friend told me yesterday that he knows a guy in town that will turn the crankshaft PTO end down for me, so that's good. My cousin has an engine sitting in the weeds with the correct exhaust manifold, flywheel screen, and hand crank set up. I just want to finish rounding up what's needed before I really get started on the project. Right now, the cowling for the engine is the main thing that I need to get, so I'll check on that engine that I mentioned earlier. The economy tractor hogs head fits over the bearing plate perfectly, so I just have to drill and tap the holes to mount it up. I'll be tearing the engine down to install the other crankshaft, so it will be easier to work with the engine base to drill it out and set up the engine mounts. I'm really looking forward to digging into this one!
  • KennyP, oldiron1 and MNGB have said thanks

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 12:22 PM

Rob, I did see the pics of John's Farm King replica, and it came out really nice. The engine that I'm using is a 1961 THD and I will most likely leave the electric start on it. I plan on using the tractor after finishing it, and I may add a pair of the old Do-Ray 510 headlights. The conversion is pretty cut and dry and I don't see any real difficulties in doing it. The main thing will be extending the frame far enough so that the axle beam does not hit the engine cowling when it pivots. I'll see how things go, and I may need to pick your buddies brains, thanks!
  • KennyP and oldiron1 have said thanks