1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob White12 ONLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 08:38 AM

I know there is a form on this already but I was wondering if anyone had a early standard garden tractor. more specifically a 1931-1932 model. I read that sears had a contract for standard then and I was wondering if anyone had one or had pics of one. I saw a  generation 2 kinkade in a video before and that gave me a good idea on what a generation 2 standard looked like. also what happened to the standard company? I know after 1960 they were gone but who bought them out? I herd viking is still a company today but I don't think its the same is it? One last question what happened to the manufacturing plant itself? Minneapolis Minnesota made a lot of famous tractors in its prime including: Flower City, Bee man and of course standard. but is the building still there? if so I would love to see it. If you have any pics of standard garden tractors in general I would love to see them they are such nice looking tractors.

Edited by Bob White12, October 18, 2017 - 08:43 AM.

• HANKG and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,725 Thanks
  • 4,885 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 09:06 AM

The early Standards used the 2nd gen Kinkaid engine. That would have been mid 20s. The 31 and 32 Handiman tractors were built on the walsh platform using steel handles and flat spoke wheels. The Walsh tractors of the same era used wood handles and round spokes. I believe at least some of the building is still standing. There are pics of the early standards in the standard thread. My Handiman tractors aren't easily pictured.

• Bob White12 said thank you