• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bahmi OFFLINE  

bahmi
  • Member No: 88472
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 04:58 PM

If the dashboard light for the glow plugs lights when the key is turned to the start position,  does this necessarily mean the glow plugs are OK? How about the relay?

thanks

#2 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 578 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Check for power on the glow plugs when turning the key to the heat position.  if there is no power work your way back form the there.

#3 starscrm7 OFFLINE  

starscrm7
  • Member No: 88590
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 11:31 AM

My lgt14d does the exact same thing.  I double checked the pin outs on the key switch compared to the ones on the wire harness and they are wired correctly so i assume this is the way it works strangely.  My tractor is almost 30 years old and God willing the glow plugs are still functioning correctly and are original.  I dont pay attention to what the glow plug indicator says.  I turn the key to the left for 3x at 4 secs. a piece intervals and 9 times out of 10 it starts.   Alot of the starting problems on my unit in my experience are safety switch issues and the relays.  Best of luck!

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 12:33 PM

​Lot of times the glow plug indicator is a voltage drop for the glow plugs.  At least it was that way on my Cub.  Glow plugs were 6-8V and the indicator reduced the voltage.  I put in 12 V glow plugs, added a relay and eliminated the indicator.  About 10 seconds with the glow plugs and it will usually fire.  Lot more reserve in the battery for turning the motor than it was before.

• pryan05 said thank you