Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Porter Cable garden tractor, Briggs 143307 electric start.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 10:51 PM

looking good, get a plastic tote and 10 gallons of white vinegar and let it soak for a week, come out looking as good as sand blasting, do you need a key I can check with my old man he bought thousands of misc keys at a sale years ago all odd ball keys
  • classic said thank you

#17 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks J. The key in the pic is the one that I found on ebay and it works like a charm. Thanks for the offer, though! I might go the vinegar route, but I hate the smell of the stuff. I don't have a warm place to keep it either. If it were warmer, I would just blast everything and be done with it. For now I'm using zip strip, a wire wheel, and sand paper. It was a refreshing 10 degrees at noon in the sun today, so I didn't use the wire wheel for long, HA! Looks like it's going to be downright frigid for the next week or so, so progress will be limited. I'll be cutting firewood tomorrow, then I'll figure out what I need to make a duplicate wiring harness and battery cables. There are some decent pics of the battery hold down in the service manual, but I'll have to make it to fit a modern battery. Oh, I may be able to get those rims in the mail tomorrow if time permits, Tuesday at the latest.

Edited by classic, December 29, 2017 - 11:42 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,886 Thanks
  • 7,461 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 05:13 AM

Glad to hear you were able to get a parts tractor for those missing items . That is a very strange key !

• classic said thank you

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,391 Thanks
  • 45,938 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Nothing like the first time driving one. Looks like it's cleaning up well.

• classic said thank you

#20 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 08:07 AM

I'm glad that the parts tractor has most everything that the other tractor is missing, Al. The belt guard is going to be fun to find, though. The first ride was great Kenny, except for when the short drive belt popped off, HA! I didn't have the wire belt guides on yet, and the engine pulley wasn't perfectly aligned with the others. I moved the engine pulley out a little and all was good after that. The tractor feels solid and not all loose and rickety. It sure is a small machine, I gotta say. Here are some pics of the battery hold down and the wiring diagram. These pics came from that big Motor Mower dealers service manual that I picked up. There are wiring schematics with the Briggs and Kohler engines with the starter/generator set up if anyone wants pics of those. From what I'm seeing, this electric start set up on my Porter Cable tractor is the earliest type to be used on the Lawnmaster and Motor Mower tractors. They then went with the starter/generator set up which I'm sure was much more reliable. Here is a pic of my wiring harness and a few other small parts. At least the harness didn't get butchered, so it will be easy to make a copy of it. I came across a second ignition key and that's on the way. I noticed two keys in the schematic, so I figured that I may as well get a spare. I found bronze bushings at the hardware store to replace the bushings in the small starter belt idler pulleys. The new bushings are a little too long, so I'll just shorten them. There are replacement shiftier boots on ebay that I can replace the crusty one with. I still have lots of work to do, but it's coming together now.

Attached Thumbnails

• getPart-34.jpeg
  • getPart-27.jpeg
  • getPart-22(3).jpeg
  • s-l400-40.jpg

Edited by classic, December 30, 2017 - 08:09 AM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#21 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,831 Thanks
  • 2,815 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 09:15 AM

Coming along nice. I'll check the parts out in the shed when it warms up a little to see if I have another tool tray. Jason might have gotten the last extra , but I'll check anyway. Might even have a set of saw tooth fronts in decent shape too.

• classic said thank you

#22 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. That tool tray will take a little time to make if I have to make one, but it doesn't seem to be too difficult. If you have a decent one, that would be great. I can use the old tray from the parts tractor for measurements if I need to make one. I have some left over sheet metal from when I made the hood for the page tractor. Yea, it's too cold to be milling around outside, I have to agree, and there's no break in sight in the near future, either. Summit has great deals on Carlisle tires with free shipping over 100.00. It would be 158.00 for 6-12 Tru Powers and 4.80-8 saw tooth tires. That's very reasonable, so I'm most likely going that route.
  • KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#23 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 12:19 PM

one one of mine I used a tool tray and fenders off a early 60's bolens they are a close match
  • classic said thank you

#24 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted December 30, 2017 - 02:24 PM

It would be easy to make a pair out of old Economy tractor fenders, just trace and cut. You can see that my tool tray is the see through type. The other tire on the cart was frozen to the ground, J. I have it warming up by the woodstove so I can get the tire off and knock the bushings out. They will be in the mail on Tuesday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171230_140449-1.jpg
  • 20171230_135529-1.jpg
  • 20171230_135344-1.jpg

Edited by classic, December 30, 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#25 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,831 Thanks
  • 2,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 04:48 PM

Sorry , no tool tray left.

• classic said thank you

#26 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for looking Tom, I appreciate it. It will be simple to make a new one with a little patients, and I can just copy the ratty one that I have.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#27 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,257 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 08:49 AM

I have some I forget if we talked it. They are solid but have some cracks where they are welded at the box
  • classic said thank you

#28 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'd rather repair an original box than make a replacement, Dayton. We may have talked about it, but I don't remember either, HA! I've been working on rebuilding a couple of Wisconsin AEH engines lately, and I'm waiting for better weather to start painting the Porter Cable. Just send me a message so I can get some funds off to you, Thanks!