95 replies to this topic

#76 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 02:47 PM

Tomorrow I will get going on another little shop project. I have wanted to build side wings for my little JD 54" snowblade for a while. I will make them so they mount easy and remove easy . Not sure how much I will use them but always thought they would be handy. We got 94" of snow this winter, were down 40" from last year at this time. Here is a idea I saw that I will tweak for my side wings. Should be a fun project.

Attached Thumbnails

• side wings.jpg

• UncleWillie said thank you

#77 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 04:28 PM

This morning I marked out the parts on the steel and got busy with the plasma cutter. Got most of the parts cut, bent , drilled and welded. I just bent the mounting brackets. Because we get so much fluffy lake effect snow this is going to work great. It should carry a lot more snow each pass. I actually pushed this fluffy stuff with the snowblower a couple times and got a idea of the wings on the blower and how much it carried the snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• wings 1.jpg
  • wings 2.jpg
  • wings 3.jpg

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#78 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 04:53 PM

I'm not working many hours each day in the shop with these bitter cold temps. But I did get the curved plate mounting brackets attached to the blade after I marked and drilled the holes in the blade. I welded two of the mounting bolts in place so it will be easy to line them up and hold the wings when installing them each time. I also got the side wings now welded to the curved brackets. Next I will start cutting out the pieces for the gussetts.

Attached Thumbnails

• wing bracket 1.jpg
  • wing bracket 2.jpg

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#79 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 07:01 PM

I got the center braces welded in place today , just need to cap the ends. Then tomorrow cut four 5"x8" gussets for the top and bottom corners. Then a little 1/2" steel on some of the edges. That should make it very sturdy and not too heavy. I should get that all done tomorrow and get the new wings painted yellow.

Attached Thumbnails

• wingcenterbrace.jpg

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#80 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:12 PM

I welded the rest of the gussets on and welded on the 1/2" edge and welded on handles today. I got filler on both wings but only sanded and painted one. Nothing fancy on the paint but better than bare metal rusting. I think with these extra gussets it will be plenty beefy for my use in fluffy deep snow. Tomorrow I'll sand and paint the second wing.

Attached Thumbnails

• painted wing 1.jpg
  • painted wing 2.jpg

• 29 Chev said thank you

#81 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:31 PM

If you were in NC you would be modifying your boat, not your snowblower. 

Nice work though

#82 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 10:15 AM

Ha, Ha, Thanks .

SNOWPLOW WINGS- Its been a few years since I built these folding wings for my 5000 series John Deere. I used them for 18 years plowing snow and they worked great. The blade on the Waldon was a rear blade to begin with that I built , then I converted it to a front blade for the Waldon, then got side wings and I decided to keep going and put a floor and roof on it for a light duty bucket. It has worked great for 5 years now.

Attached Thumbnails

• wings5.jpg
  • wings6.jpg
  • wings 6.jpg

• Alc and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#83 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 01:23 PM

JD 54" Plow Wings - Today I tried out the new wings. They are 17" tall and 20" in. long. I can't believe how great they work. It is just like having a bucket and that little plow moves three times the snow now. I love it. A week ago I had no idea of building wings and now they are built and being used. These are the little fun projects I like doing in my little workshop. My wife just downloaded two You-tube videos today of me plowing with them if anyone is interested. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• wing plowing 1.jpg
  • wing plowing 2.jpg
  • wing plowing 3.jpg

• jhn9840, Alc, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#84 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 373 Thanks
  • 354 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 03:59 PM

John Deere couldn’t have done it better himself. Thanks for taking the time to share your projects.

jhn9840
John
  • Don Campbell said thank you

#85 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 12:40 PM

Hopefully people get ideas from some of my projects for their own projects.

Here is a photo of a rear hydraulic angle blade I designed and built several years ago. I never used it even one time. After it sat for a few more years I decided to cut off the rear beam where it swiveled and trun it around and build a snow bucket for my little Waldon Loader. The second photo shows the sides and floor in but not the top piece of steel yet. I still use this bucket during the winter and it works great. Hard to imagine it started out as a rear blade :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 266059834_30ca00c5a1.jpg
  • aaaloader6.jpg

#86 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:49 AM

JD 54" Snow Blade Extensions- I have thought about building some extensions for my JD 54" snowblade. The extensions would stretch the plowing width to 70".

Here are photos of the Steiner/Deere blade that I built extensions for.

Attached Thumbnails

• extension2.jpg
  • extension4.jpg
  • snowhills 003.JPG

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#87 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,978 Thanks
  • 5,676 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:52 AM

JD 54" Plow Wings - Today I tried out the new wings. They are 17" tall and 20" in. long. I can't believe how great they work. It is just like having a bucket and that little plow moves three times the snow now. I love it. A week ago I had no idea of building wings and now they are built and being used. These are the little fun projects I like doing in my little workshop. My wife just downloaded two You-tube videos today of me plowing with them if anyone is interested. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

I watched your video plowing, those things work really well. I have always thought you need to angle and roll the snow, but you taught me different!

#88 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 11:15 AM

Videos are awesome. I am glad someone enjoys living in snow land. I am a southern boy.

#89 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 12:03 PM

Garden Tractor Grader Blades- As I think about more little blades I thought some of you might like hearing this, ha,ha. Here are photos of four blades I built and to this day they have never seen dirt or snow. They are packed away in the back shed like sardines. :(

Attached Thumbnails

• unusedblade1.jpg
  • unusedblade2.jpg
  • unusedblade4.jpg
  • unusedblade5.jpg

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and TAHOE have said thanks

#90 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,576 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 09:34 AM

JD 730 Narrow Front / Trip Loader- Here is another fun project I built . I never saw a trip bucket style loader on a narrow front garden tractor so I just had to build one. It too has never seen snow or dirt, ha,ha. Now it sits in the back shed without the loader and I have mounted rear duel wheels on it. I have always loved duel wheels. This is the only narrow front tractor I have built. My little grandson loves grandpas little tractors.

Attached Thumbnails

• narrow1.jpg
  • narrow2.jpg
  • narrow3.JPG
  • narrow4.JPG

• jhn9840, Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks