95 replies to this topic

#61 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 11:52 AM

21 below zero this morning but headed out to the shop anyway. My 110,000 space heater runs just 5 minutes every half hour to keep the chill out. The small are with plenty of insulation and the low ceiling warms up very fast. It is very cozy . Today I got the axles done and some of the parts for the main frame cut out and welded together. Normally I would not go to the shop when it gets below 10 degrees but I have enjoyed building all these little projects I was excited to go out even today. I dress warm and keep moving or I could get cold. Two months of winter done, 75" of snow now. Down from last year ?, we had 91" so it could be a mild winter. :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• axles.jpg

• MFDAC, tiretrx and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#62 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 12:51 PM

I thought I would share my old grill , it was 40 years old and the base rusted out. I tweaked it and it was working great for grilling and a ride on toy. Until I hit it with the loader bucket under the snow , ??  I also tweaked the old portable air compressor and it doubled as a ride on toy too. They both went to the trash when I did my fall cleaning this year. Deb had fun pulling me and my grandson around. :wave: :wave:

Attached Thumbnails

• gas grill 010.JPG
  • mackinaw sea shell city 027.JPG

• Alc, MFDAC, tiretrx and 1 other said thanks

#63 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 04:18 PM

Tri-Axle BBQ Grill Progress- Today I welded up the rear frame with a shelf for a 30 lb LP tank , a large bag of charcoal and a charcoal starter can. I also made the first fender. Tomorrow I will move to the front of the frame and start the steering and I will figure how to attach the Komado grill. This is another fun project. :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• tri-axle.jpg

• gopher, MFDAC and tiretrx have said thanks

#64 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 04:54 PM

Todays progress was to mount the Komato grill on the front section of the frame. I am trimming the legs and fabricationg new lower supports to give the smooth look all along the bottom of the frame. Next I will scratch build a tie rod steering axle assembly for the front. I am pleased how it is looking so far. It will be fun to you this summer.

Attached Thumbnails

• komado.jpg

• gopher, MFDAC and tiretrx have said thanks

#65 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 03:52 PM

Front axle Build- I got the front spindles cut out and drilled and welded together. Also welded up the tube axle. You can see my sketch of how I will build the T-handle / steering mechanism . I should get this project done this week. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• spindles.jpg

• jhn9840 and tiretrx have said thanks

#66 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 06:07 PM

Today I got the parts cut out , drilled and welded together for the steering . Also finished the bracket that supports the T-Handle. Tomorrow I will fine tune the tie rod bars before I weld them in position. Still looks pretty rough but I think it is going to work just fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• steering assembly.jpg

• MFDAC said thank you

#67 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 03:30 PM

Making progress again today as I got the front axle attached and the T-Handle made and attached. It rolls very nice . Tomorrow I will design how to attach the lift axles on the rear. They are just sitting there now and not attached. Just a fun little crazy addition to the grill, ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• axle 1.jpg
  • axle2.jpg

• MFDAC said thank you

#68 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 03:49 PM

Almost done with the bbq pit cart. Now I'm working on a overhead rack to hang a few things.

Attached Thumbnails

• signs 1.jpg
  • signs 2.jpg

• Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#69 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,096 Thanks
  • 8,905 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 07:05 PM

Great work. I want a burger now. 

#70 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 550 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 09:05 PM

That last picture brings back many memories. When I was young there was a new Topps Big Boy in Aurora & one time an uncle took us kids to it because of all the new things they where doing. That was the first Drive In that had speakers for placing your order for food, when it was ready a Carhop would bring food to your vehicle. All other Drive Ins there was a Carhop that came to get your order, then when the food was ready it would be brought to your vehicle.

Thank you for the memories.

Charlie

#71 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 05:02 PM

It's going to be fun even making burgers, My first job was washing dishes at a Big Boy when I was 15 years old. My mom worked there as a waitress and she got me the job. Always remember the Big Boy. The boss fired one of the cooks the last week I worked there and before he left he peed in the bun steamer and pumped the heck out of it. Stunk up the whole place, ha,ha. Always remember that too. lol.

Got the bbq Rack well under way today. Also built a shelf on it . Going to be very handy.

Attached Thumbnails

• overhead rack.jpg

#72 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,096 Thanks
  • 8,905 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:14 PM

before he left he peed in the bun steamer and pumped the heck out of it. Stunk up the whole place, 

I hope the boss punched him in the neck for that.  :anvil_drop:

Edited by UncleWillie, January 23, 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#73 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 08:30 AM

No, they just opened all the doors and aired it out.

#74 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 05:58 PM

Today I pulled out the finished BBQ Pit Cart from the shop for the first time. It steered and puled very nice and easy. I am very pleased how it turned out. I was not sure in the beginning how I was going to do parts of it. It fits real nice against one of the walls in my front garage. I'm not sure what I will putter in the shop on next week but tomorrow I will get things all cleaned up looking good. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• grill done 1.jpg
  • grill done 2.jpg
  • grill done 3.jpg

• MFDAC and UncleWillie have said thanks

#75 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,581 Thanks
  • 1,188 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yesterday I also pulled out the new improved portable workbench from the shop into the driveway for the first time. It steered great and pulled very nice. I really like the toolbox mounted below full of nuts and bolts and screws. So much handier. I also really like the work surface being a few inches taller. In the spring I will hook all three pit carts together for a group photo.  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• driveway 1st time.jpg