• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 308 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 07:53 PM

Don, everything looks great. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy following along on your projects. That's a cool looking toolbox in the second photo that has the drill press on top of it.

jhn9840
John

#32 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 04:37 PM

Todays photos show the metal table now moved closer for working on it. The bottom shelf will get lowered 3" , the drawer will get cut out for clearance for the two lower tool boxes. The frame will be lengthened 12". It will get 8 tires again but smaller dia. with much less weight . The steering design will be the same and a similar design on the T-handle. This is mostly a cold weather inside fun project. The second photo shows the center bottom box inserted yesterday . I bought several of these cheap Task Force and Husky tool boxes for $60.00 each and some for $50.00 each. They made it easy to turn them into four different workbenches with very little expense. Everything is on wheels for adjusting .

Attached Thumbnails

• table one.jpg
  • table two.jpg

• gopher and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#33 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks John,

I cut out the top drawer today of this metal table and got it split in half with the plasma cutter. Looks like adding 13" to the length will allow two bottom tool boxes to fit. After I get the new length roughed in I will lower the bottom shelf to allow the boxes to fit height wise. This is going to make this table much more useful using less floor space. Another fun little project. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• table cut in half.jpg

• jhn9840, gopher and MFDAC have said thanks

#34 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 05:49 PM

I got the table stretched and the longer frame welded back together. Tomorrow I will lower the bottom shelf. It has to be lowered almost to the wheels so I will have to do more trimming with the plasma cutter. The second photo shows my new mag wheels and some chrome trim I added to the pit cart . Got a little more sporty look now, ha,ha. :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• table welded back tgether 2.jpg
  • magwheels.jpg

• MFDAC and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#35 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 05:49 PM

On schedule today and got the lower shelf 6 inches down as planned. Test fitted the two boxes and they fit great. Removed old wheels and starting to cut out metal for rear axle . This one will also halve 8 wheels. These will be smaller . Over 10 years ago I bought 40 of these tires for my model building . I used 30 of them so it will be nice to use up 8 more. Back then I bought them for $3.00 each with rims , tubes and bearings and bearings. I removed the 8 wheels from the old tool boxes so I will mount them on my large drill press and my sheet metal shear. They have wheels but they are too small.

Attached Thumbnails

• wheelsone.jpg
  • wheelstwo.jpg

#36 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Flipped the table over today and got the front steering axle roughed in and tacked together. It rolls great on the eight tires. Tomorrow I will build the T-handle assembly and get a better fit on the tool boxes to get them snug together and bolted in. Also cut out the metal for the open area I stretched. This table will not get the mag wheels or the chrome package. I got another cool project for next week I have been wanting to do for many years in my little shop. Tweaking this will make it so much handier . I'll share it next week after I finish this project. After that I have three more smaller shop tool tweaking projects.

Attached Thumbnails

• table on 8 tires.jpg

#37 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 09:56 AM

T-Handle done, assembled and painted. Almost done with rolling tool box #2.  So nice to finally use more of the tires that been sitting so long. I love how great these tables roll on these bigger tires. These have been two very fun inexpensive projects that have already made it more fun working in the shop. I have found it so handy using the first table to work on Table #2.

Attached Thumbnails

• T-Handle done.jpg

#38 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 02:47 PM

I got the second box done today and painted. Here are 6 of my left over 14 go cart slicks. Tomorrow I will mount them on rims and get going on the next project.

Also I like these two custom big tire carts I think in a couple weeks I will do a third one. I still have another table and two more cheap boxes that would be great to convert over. When I am working on Garden Tractors in the shop I often roll several boxes in the front garage for more work space. These big tire boxes will be so much nicer. I have kept costs very low by recycling everything.

Attached Thumbnails

• slicks.jpg
  • slicks2.jpg

#39 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 06:05 PM

I only made it to the shop today long enough to mount two of the go-cart slicks. Tomorrow I will get 8 more of the slicks mounted on rims. Now I'm going to do table # 3 a little different . I also now have 20 steel wheels left over for other fun little projects in the shop. I hope to get going on the next project tomorrow too.

Attached Thumbnails

• rims mounted.jpg

#40 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,461 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Decided to keep going on the last table conversion. I got the shelf lowered for the tool box and removed the old wheels . Mounted the new wheels and was very unhappy how they wobbled and made the table feel tipsey. When I lifted the table off the floor it kept going over and landed on my brand new John Deere. 5 nice scratches. :( :( :(

So Friday I will remove the front swivel assemblies and design a new front axle and t handle and add two more rear tires. These 8 tire rolling box setups are very stable. I also stocked up on steel for the winter so that was good. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• table 3 too.jpg
  • table 3.jpg

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,236 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:07 PM

When I put a tiny dent in the hood of my new Kubota BX25D I was upset with myself, but hey, it's gonna happen sooner or later....but I'd have preferred later!

#42 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,098 Thanks
  • 2,807 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

When I put a tiny dent in the hood of my new Kubota BX25D I was upset with myself, but hey, it's gonna happen sooner or later....but I'd have preferred later!

I got a uncle that freaks out over a tiny  scratch and my granddad would tell him that it a truck which is meant for work not to look pretty. I guess it would be the same way for tractors anything you use will get scratches and dents no matter how careful you are.