#1 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hi Guys,

For many years I have wanted a pit Cart type portable worktable. Yesterday I finally started one. First I mounted a old vise and a old drill press to a old metal table I had not used in three years. Today I mounted the Lincoln Welder and the tool box to the bottom shelf . Also mounted the small Lincoln Wire Welder on the rear. You can see in the photo I am putting 8 tires on it for good flotation in the back yard. I will build a T-handle for pulling it by hand and a hitch to hook on the garden tractor. Next I will build the frame work for the plasma cutter to be mounted on the front above the front axle. I will also build hangers for 2 hand grinders and ,y hand held bandsaw. A full selection of tools will be stocked in the drawers . I have 40 feet of 220V extension cord and 40 feet of 110 V extension cord. I will also mount a dozen outlets to be handy to get too. It will be so nice to move this rig out back to a project or in the front garage or to the back shed . I spent so many hours walking back and forth getting tools for projects. It will be heavy in the lawn so the extra tries will keep it more stable. I'm very excited  about this project. I'll keep you updated as it progresses and I'll show it being pulled around. Maybe some of you might find this handy for your own use.

Attached Thumbnails

• pitcart.jpg

• jhn9840, Gtractor, Alc and 11 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,997 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 06:36 PM

Looks good as long as the weight to move it don't over rule the manpower.  I usually bring the projects to the shop, roll, carry or drag, which ever works.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 308 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 11:15 PM

This is going to be top shelf. Looking forward to seeing more.

jhn9840
John
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,555 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 04:40 AM

Don, looking cool but after seeing your craftsmanship I can see the next upgrade will be a scale model service truck , complete with everything on the cart plus a crane , winch and air compressor painted John Deere green 

• Gtractor, TomLGT195, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 08:14 AM

My situation it works better to roll the cart around sometimes. I always try moving the project to the little shop whenever possible . My shop is tiny. This will be nice to have even in my workshop. The weight is a concern pulling it out the door ramp . I may have to stay on level ground and go through my front garage door with the garden tractor pulling it off pavement . Level cement floors should not be a problem pulling it around by hand. Just a fun little project. I have thought about mounting a engine on it with fold up handle bars , ha,ha.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,997 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 08:25 AM

Keep the wheels wide enough for stability.  Going to be top heavy.  Where does the tire changer go?  :dancingbanana:

#7 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 603 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 09:02 AM

Looking good there. I didn't see how the wheels were mounted to the cart. Can you show a pic of that? Thks.

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,055 Thanks
  • 3,325 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 02:48 PM

Looks great, I would widen the stance justsayinisall

#9 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 06:21 PM

I forgot to allow for the tire changer ?? that will have to stay in the workshop, ha,ha. I worked on the rear axle frame today and the design will allow me to adjust the rear four wheels from narrow to a wider in just a few minutes. If neccessary I can tuck them in the frame width or adjust them out another 4 inches on each side . It will be nice to have that option. If I see it is too tipsy I will keep the wider setup and just always pull it through my other garage . Once I get the rear framework done and the rear wheels final mounting I'll share that photo. There will be frame support between each wheel too as this will be plenty heavy once it is loaded up .

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,113 Thanks
  • 1,315 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 12:32 PM

Nice cart,,mine is similar and it could use some power.  My bud suggested wheelchair motor/drive  to move it around??

Edited by Jazz, October 15, 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#11 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 03:58 PM

I did see where people power them and install disc breaks too . Here is todays progress. I cut out and drilled the four frame extension pieces and welded them to the main frame. I also bent a lid for it and sit the plasma cutter on . But the Plasma cutter will actually sit 8" higher . I cut out and drilled and bent the shelf today but won't get it mounted til tomorrow. I will work more on the rear section tomorrow building the rear fenders and lights. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• duel wheels mounted.jpg

#12 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Todays progress I worked on the first fender radius and part of the front lower panel section. Also worked on the rear two shelves for the plasma cutter and hand held bandsaw. Next I'll work on the other rear corner and fender section and the lower panel towards the front . Very pleased at the early stages. This is going to be so handy.

Attached Thumbnails

• pitcart fender.jpg

• Gtractor, tiretrx and pryan05 have said thanks

#13 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 308 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 08:09 PM

Is your mig mounted to your pit cart as well? You sure are going to be able to get into a lot of different jobs off of this cart. Shaping up very nice.

jhn9840
John

#14 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,083 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 07:46 AM

Love it, Don! Your stuff is always so well thought out.......got no doubts here :thumbs:

#15 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,460 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words !!  I think this is going to be a cool looking welding cart when it is done.

Yes, The little mig welder is on the front of the cart. I am already enjoying this project using it before it is finished, ha,ha. Today I added 12 outlets for plugging in hand grinders , drill press, radio, band saw, flat screen tv, mini frig , lights, etc. I also added another panel along the bottom and got the rear left corner boxed in . If all goes well tomorrow night the rear of the cart should be finished and painted. Then I will move to the front steering system and front panels. I'll post the next progress pic tomorrow night . This project is nothing fancy but very practical. :dancingbanana:

• tiretrx said thank you