• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dpbcc OFFLINE  

dpbcc
  • Member No: 87891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 11, 2017 - 11:53 AM

OK so I've begun the restore on the 8163 I just acquired.   I knew from the owner that it was missing a couple of rollers for the right hand clutch cam.   So this morning I pull off the clutch - yup no rollers and the bearing is shot and the cam is cracked.   Luckily I found an assembly to replace it.  Though I'll probably see if the crack can be brazed and rebuild it for a spare.

Now the other problem is either a problem or lack of understanding  on how the transmission and clutch system works.

So the right side piece that the clutch pushes against to get traction  spins freely the left side doesn't.   This doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Can somebody explain how this works?    Does which side is free wheeling or not depend on the shift levers?  right now I think everything is in neutral.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_04861.JPG
  • IMG_04871.JPG
  • IMG_04881.JPG

#2 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,083 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 07:40 AM

One side is for forward, the other reverse, which is actuated by either a hand lever or a pedal, depending on the model. When the pedal/level is in the middle, neither are engaged, and you are effectively in neutral, regardless of which gear and/or range you are in.

I might have some rollers in the gravelyard if you need them, let me know.

#3 dpbcc OFFLINE  

dpbcc
  • Member No: 87891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 08:36 AM

One side is for forward, the other reverse, which is actuated by either a hand lever or a pedal, depending on the model. When the pedal/level is in the middle, neither are engaged, and you are effectively in neutral, regardless of which gear and/or range you are in.

I might have some rollers in the gravelyard if you need them, let me know.

Thanks much - that really clears things up - just so happens when I dismantled the old clutch I found 1 of the rollers in the bearing race the replacement I got has the rollers in it so I'm all set with those -  you wouldn't happen to have the lift bar set up to raise the front attachment in your graveyard?  It came with the adapter frame but no lift bar for the hydraulic lift

Thanks 

Dave

• tiretrx said thank you

#4 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,083 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 10:47 AM

Thanks much - that really clears things up - just so happens when I dismantled the old clutch I found 1 of the rollers in the bearing race the replacement I got has the rollers in it so I'm all set with those -  you wouldn't happen to have the lift bar set up to raise the front attachment in your graveyard?  It came with the adapter frame but no lift bar for the hydraulic lift

Thanks 

Dave

I'll check, but pretty much sure the one I had found a new home. Glad you found the rollers :thumbs: