Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How would you start a new garden in an overgrown field?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 436 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 07:56 AM

Agree with all.  If all you have is a tiller, do multiple runs at 1" depth only each time, slowly chewing it up without too much stress on equipment.  Burn-down first is a must though.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,102 Thanks
  • 6,217 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 07:36 AM

Do you mean spray with Roundup?

Yes.  I am cleaning the garden off now.  Will wait a while before plowing and will spray it again if any weed start to show up.  Next spring will disc it as early as possible and wait for the weeds to come up.  When they are up about an inch tall, spray again and then go to gardening.  IF your not into the spraying it is going to be a lot more work to keep the weeds, etc. out.  Strong back, weak mind and a good sharp hoe.

Edited by chieffan, October 21, 2017 - 07:58 AM.

• Cvans, TomLGT195, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#18 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 436 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 07:50 AM

There is a good Market Garden book I have that talks about weed management.  They authors are minimal till and state the fact that weed seeds only in the first 1-2 inches of ground are what are bothersome.  First thing in the spring, they put down a thin .mil clear plastic sheet, the kind you can buy as a painting drop sheet.  The plastic warms up the ground in spring quickly with the sun, all the majority of viable weed seeds germinate quickly in the heat, then either die under the plastic or they then till up all those weeds.  Apparently it clears the majority of viable weed seeds for the rest of the year.  Al this is done before planting time.

Interesting concept, I've not tried it myself.

• Alc, KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#19 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 1,159 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 10:57 AM

There is a good Market Garden book I have that talks about weed management.  They authors are minimal till and state the fact that weed seeds only in the first 1-2 inches of ground are what are bothersome.  First thing in the spring, they put down a thin .mil clear plastic sheet, the kind you can buy as a painting drop sheet.  The plastic warms up the ground in spring quickly with the sun, all the majority of viable weed seeds germinate quickly in the heat, then either die under the plastic or they then till up all those weeds.  Apparently it clears the majority of viable weed seeds for the rest of the year.  Al this is done before planting time.

Interesting concept, I've not tried it myself.

I tried it. It didn't work for me. Don't know what I might have done wrong. Don

• Alc said thank you