• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• Member No: 4424
  • 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hi, just purchased a new to me QT16 with tiller, mower and snow blade. I've been using it a little, and noticed it shuts off suddenly for no reason.... I'm guessing something is overheating in the electrical system??

Attached Files

#2 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:48 PM

is it charging? if your jumping it and its not charging then just stalls its not charging

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 02:40 PM

1adamb,:welcometogttalk:
Glad to have you with us.

You might have a faulty safety switch.

#4 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Okay, don't know what is going on with this tractor, but it shut off and wont' start again. I ended up running a jump wire from battery to coil and then it starts with key. Have to remove wire to get it to shut off though.

Then started cutting grass, and 1/2 hour later, electric pto clutch stopped working. Is it fixable or do I need new one. Yes, the switch has 12 volts at it, but the clutch no longer engages.. to say this better the clutch itself has 12 volts to it but doesn't engage.

1adamb,:welcometogttalk:
Glad to have you with us.

You might have a faulty safety switch.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like you have some faulty wiring. And possibly a bad PTO clutch.
I'm not much help with these series Bolens but I can give you some links to the Parts list and service manual for your tractor. There should be a wiring diagram somewhere in the manuals.

QT16Partslist

Q series service manual

#6 1adamb ONLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 09:20 AM

I emailed two of the people listed in the sticky's, lets hope somebody has a clutch for this tractor, or all I'll be using it for is to push snow.

Edited by 1adamb, June 28, 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#7 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 09:40 PM

My clutch field and windings looks like this one from a D160... I know my engine isn't the original so maybe the clutch isn't either. The pulley set up on mine is different, but the bottom part (where the wires come out) looks just like this one???

Wheel Horse D-160 Tractor Electric PTO Clutch | eBay

#8 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:56 PM

I ordered a new one from Rays Mower shop in Boyertown. Was $250, but comes with warranty. At least I could get one.....now I got $1050 into this mower, tiller, plow set up.

#9 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Welcome to the forum. Proud you already getting help.

#10 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:32 AM

just picked up a parts QT16 with deck and plow for $123. Original motor looks shot, but the pto is good and has good rear end etc. If anybody needs parts, let me know.

#11 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:52 AM

Welcome to GTtalk! Sounds like a nice tractor. Nothing wrong with putting some repair money into a good GT!!

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Sorry it took me an extra day to do this: :welcome: to GTTalk! Glad you are getting the help.

When you get that rig behaving itself, it'll make for a very useful unit. Don't give up yet :D

#13 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2011 - 12:11 PM

isnt 123 an odd number to buy something off somebody for?

#14 1adamb ONLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:35 AM

Well, the seller wanted $150. I went and looked at it, offered him $125.. but when I looked in my wallet only had $20's and $10's... and 3 $1 dollar bills. So it was either going to be give him $130 (which I didn't want to do) or give him $123. Seller was just happy to get rid of the tractor and accepted the $123. I knew the tires and wheels were in good shape, and I figured it was worth it just for that. I have since found out the electric clutch is perfect, ohm'ed at 2.5 and works great. I haven't tested but I'm sure the hydraulics work good. So over all, not a bad buy for $123 :)

isnt 123 an odd number to buy something off somebody for?

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Well, the seller wanted $150. I went and looked at it, offered him $125.. but when I looked in my wallet only had $20's and $10's... and 3 $1 dollar bills. So it was either going to be give him $130 (which I didn't want to do) or give him $123. Seller was just happy to get rid of the tractor and accepted the $123. I knew the tires and wheels were in good shape, and I figured it was worth it just for that. I have since found out the electric clutch is perfect, ohm'ed at 2.5 and works great. I haven't tested but I'm sure the hydraulics work good. So over all, not a bad buy for $123 :)

:wave: 1adamb Welcome to GTTalk! Not sure how this thread slipped under my radar, but still wanted to say Hi!
That's an interesting story of how you arrived at the purchase price! I had that happen with a set of wheels once. I asked what he wanted for them, he replied $25. I thought that a fair price, but when I retrieved my money from my pocket, I discovered only $24...I told him I'd go dig around in my car and could probably come up with the extra $1 in pocket change, but he said it was close enough LOL! I had given him quite a bit more money as I had purchased several items already.
Great that you got such a deal on yours. Hope you get the bugs worked out quickly and hope also that you enjoy the forum!