8 replies to this topic

#1 sobiepan OFFLINE  

sobiepan
  • Member No: 88554
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 10:49 AM

Good day, 

I am new to the garden tractor life. I moved out of the city and found the H1 for sale for $400 and bought it because it has a snow plow and ran. I have spent the last few days replacing the throttle cable and choke cable as well as cleaning the carb and a few other things. The thing runs great. It starts right up and there is no smoke coming out of it. I can drive it around to a point...

Because I am new I am having a hard time understanding things though. not sure if I should create a new topic for each one but I thought having the thread in a single place will help me a lot.

...So what is my question?

When I run it downhill it runs fine, however, when i run it on a flat surface or uphill it seems to go for a minute then slow down then jerk forward for a minute then slow down then jerk... I am a guy that likes to start cheap and easy and work my way up. My thinking, which may be way off is that the transmission fluid or something is either way low or really bad. I was trying to find some material to read to figure out how to change it and change the filter if there is one. If anyone knows how to change the fluid please let me know! I am excited to own this and see if i can get it running properly.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,022 Thanks
  • 2,676 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 01:20 PM

something I see that doesn't make sense... I see that you are from Arizona. yet you bought a GT because it has a snow plow​..... is there a town in the Rust belt in some other state named Arizona?  like (maybe) Arizona, PA or something like that? 

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 02:15 PM

HMMMMM? The IP shows California. And who in Arizona needs a snow plow?

#4 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 03:22 PM

Ok First welcome to the forum. I don't care if you use your snow plow for snow or to push over cactus. John Deere is very tight with their information so going to them is tough. A quick search on line tells me that the H series Deere used the Sunstrand 15 series typu U hydro. Evidently Sunstrand was bought out by SAUER DANFOSS. The information I am finding indicates there are several manuals on line free that may well help you. If you go to the top of this page third tab from the left is the manuals section. Click that tab then go down the resulting list to the transmission manuals. Click on that, the second page of that list you will find a lot of information on the Sunstrand 15 Good luck.  Don

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 299 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 03:23 PM

Next time you go out and drive it pull back on the hydraulic lift lever when moving forward and see if the problem goes away. I just bought a 1971 140 H3 which had the same problem. Come to find out someone had over tightened the hydro dump valve knob under the front of the seat.The actuator plate got bent enough so it wouldn't let the forward dump valve release all the way causing it to jerk the same way you describe. Re bent the plate and problem is gone.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,022 Thanks
  • 2,676 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Ok First welcome to the forum. I don't care if you use your snow plow for snow or to push over cactus.  Good luck.  Don

Hey now, I was trying to be funny. Not trying to scare anyone away....

• secondtry said thank you

#7 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 370 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 07:50 PM

First two things to check is the hydro fluid and level. then check the relief valves like Kyocum said. Hydro fluid should either be type F transmission fluid or John Deere low viscosity hyguard. If that all checks out then things can start getting expensive, like worn out pump and such.

#8 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 3,072 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted October 10, 2017 - 05:59 AM

Deere used two different pump/rear ends in the 140.  A tractor serial number would help confirm which one you have.  I would also suggest hunting down a service manual.  The old style rear end is used in machines 00000 -30000 (1968-1970) and the new style pump/axle was used 30001 + (1971 -1974 and shared with the 120.)

• secondtry said thank you

#9 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 981 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Flagstaff and northern Arizona does get snow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, information