• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• Member No: 4417
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 10:09 AM

I've been eyeing an ad for the 314-8 with many implements but the price seems like it might be high. Wonder what folks around here think about it. Below is the description given by the seller and from what I can see from the pistures this tractor and implements is in better the good condition with onkly 591 hours on the tractor.

1995 toro wheelhorse 314-8 garden tractor in good shape with 591 hours sale includes 314-8 14 HP garden tractor, 38" Brinly box scraper, 48" side discharge mower deck w 2 sets of blades, 50" mid mount grader blade, 44" 2 stage snow blower, 36" tiller , Wheel Weights, tire chains, Clevis hitch, drawbar hitch, front mounted hitch for moving trailers around, manuals for all accessories and tractor, and all attaching hardware everything works and functions as it should, I am selling to be able to upgrade to a larger tractor with a loader. Price is $3,100.00 or best offer .

Thanks in advance for any advise you folks can offer.

Craig

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 10:40 AM

Craig, Welcome to GT talk, Glad you found us. If the tractor is in really nice shape, and all of the attachments are in good shape also, the seller is not out of line. You can always make him a lower offer and see if he takes it. There is a lot of very nice attachments that are with that tractor. Good Luck, and keep us posted on how you come out.

#3 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thanks! I kind of figured it was worth some serious cash with all the attachments and in nice shape. I love thse old tractors! I'll offer him less and see what he says but if it's in a nice a shape as I think I'll pay his asking price if he refuses. The only thing that makes me leary is parts availability. I've own and used regularly a JD round fender 110 for the last 3 years and JD always has the part to bring it back to life when something fails. In most cases even if they are obsolete!

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Wheel Horse parts are very easy to come by. There are sponsor links here to dealers that will have the parts you need. A lot of parts interchange over the last 30 years of W.H. .

#5 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Well folks I went ahead and made a deal and purchased the tractor for $2900. It really is in great shape as is all the attachements. I already mowed my two acre lawn with it! I did have to mess with the main carb jet because it was missing under load a bit I believe I need a new paper air filter. Any idea on the best source. Also I can;t seem to find any accurate information on the carb setting for the carburetor used in this M14S Kohler any help with that? Seems like the Kohler manual for the M14 uses a different carb.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Congrats on the purchase! I think that you got a great deal! I have the same model, one year older than yours...and a few more hours too LOL. I have always had great service from it and I believe that you will too. Before you adjust the carb, check for play in the throttle shaft that the butterfly is mounted on. I'm in the process of replacing mine right now for the same symptoms. Hope you enjoy the machine. P.S. I put a contact into Toro about their online manuals page as I got an error message when I tried to view the available documents pertaining to this tractor. I will let you know what I find out. If I manage to get the service manual, I'll put it in the manuals section and send you a link.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Congrats NOS! Sounds like a nice tractor. I have driven Caseguys a couple of times and it's a very capable machine.

(thank goodness there aren't any pics... I'd never live it down) :poke:

#8 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Thanks guy's! So far I really dig this tractor. I really do not think the problem was the butterfly shaft since after running the tractor a bit I pulled the plug and it was pretty full of black soot which tells me it was running a bit rich. I just turned the main jet in about a 1/8th of a turn and she runs smooth. I truly believe the main issue is I need a new paper filter and so far I have not been able to find one online. Anyone know where I can source a replacement air filter?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 11:15 AM

I am not familiar with the Wheel Horses but is it a Kohler single in it? If it is you can check with one of the site sponsors or you can pick one up at Tractor Supply.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 06:50 PM

I agree with George on this one. It should be a standard Kohler air cleaner. Check with some of the sponsors, Tractor supply, or your local mower shop. It should be readily available. Take an old one with you to match it up.