• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 117 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 09:17 PM

This is a 917.273322 hydrostatic tractor.  Came with a busted 26HP V-twin Kohler.  By the clunking sound it makes when rocked I'd say it has a busted rod..   I'm going to run a Briggs Intek 33 single.  To mount the briggs I removed the rear engine mount bracket and shortened an engine mounting plate from a YTS3000. It drops nicely onto the GT frame.  This can be easily reversed to mount the Kohler.  I have an old briggs on the plate to work out placement for correct belt length.   With luck it will be up and running soon.  

IMG_6813_S.JPG

IMG_6848_S.JPG

IMG_6837_S.JPG

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#2 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:44 PM

I got one of those  pretty good for suburban use but for what we used it for it had to work hard. the whole thing is pretty much held together with bailing wire now. then we got a nice huskavarna that dose us very nicely. we gave that one to my brother and lets just say he yard isn't mowed often  :D. but anyway are you going to take apart that old motor just for giggles I kind of want to see whats in there because you never know ive seen some pretty crazy stuff in them.

• pryan05 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,852 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 05:11 AM

Sounds like fun. If you can't rebuild that Kohler, I'm interested in the flywheel. Need one for my CV730 (25HP).

#4 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 117 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Mostly I need a GT to use with my Kiwk-Way towable backhoe.   The Masey 12 works but it has a rather tired engine and I don't like running it.  Lawn tractors are too light to leave attached when digging.    

I have to be in the right mood to work on small engine internals so it may be a while.  If the rod did too much damage we can make a trade Kenny.

3v0

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,852 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 07:25 AM

Mostly I need a GT to use with my Kiwk-Way towable backhoe.   The Masey 12 works but it has a rather tired engine and I don't like running it.  Lawn tractors are too light to leave attached when digging.    

I have to be in the right mood to work on small engine internals so it may be a while.  If the rod did too much damage we can make a trade Kenny.

3v0

Sounds good to me!

#6 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 01:44 AM

yeah I've herd some bad things about some of those kohler engines. but some are great the one one on my rototiller usually starts on one pull in any weather. but some are awful those ones that have all those plastic crap in them and the ones that you find like a mine of metal when you drain the oil  .

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,024 Thanks
  • 2,679 posts

Posted October 10, 2017 - 12:18 PM

Old Kohler vs new Kohler there's no comparison. Old ones didn't want to die, newer ones don't want to live.
  • KennyP said thank you