Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brand new member with a classic Ariens and some questions!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle01 OFFLINE  

Kyle01
  • Member No: 88485
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hi all!  Brand new here, looking for some direction with my somewhat beloved GT14g...

This machine and I go way back, many others have come and gone but this one has always been with me and means more to me than some of the others as it's a link to my late grandfather... I have fond memories of being a young boy, riding on grandpas knee as his beautiful brand new (at that time, late 70's) Ariens was working the ground with a PTO driven tiller.   Good times.

Anyhoo, not to bore you with the details, but I know that more than one of you probably have a machine you feel the same about.  This one has a soul almost and I have been taking good care of her for the past 20 years or so, never asked for much outside of routine maintainence till now.

Got done mowing, put her in the garage.  Everything was normal.  A week later, start her up and ease the clutch out in neutral- moves forward.  Put it in first, feels like nothing there.  1st, second, reverse all the same deal-  tractor moves forward in all of those gears (its clearly in first)  If you try 3rd or 4th the trans is "locked"  and by that I mean when you start to let the clutch out it'll stall the motor- wont turn the input shaft at all in those gears.

so, clearly theres an issue with the shift forks (i'm making an educated guess) as the linkage to the shifter is all intact and working correctly.  Funny thing is, there wasnt any single thing that stands out... no issue with the gears at all the last time I ran it- then to park it and have this happen just seems random... but here we are.

So i'm at a point where I need to make a decision-  I need the tractor (it's up at our lake house and is the main machine used to maintain that property) but Peerless transaxles aint exactly growing on trees (not that one at least)  Anyone here had a similar issue on a gear drive Ariens (or New Holland, etc. that use a similar Peerless trans??)  Looks like a fairly decent ordeal to get the transaxle out and seeing as that unit is no longer produced I don't want to invest a bunch of time pulling it only to find out that we can't do anything with it once it's out...  I also don't want to just dump the tractor to someone who's going to part it out since i'm kind of attached to it- and it's such a nice machine.  

Thats my dilemma. 

Thanks for listening!

Kyle

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 581 Thanks
  • 469 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to GTT. Sorry I can't help you with your questions but I'm sure others will be along that know more about that tractor. I have limited experience only with sears suburbans and cub cadets.  None with ariens.

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 539 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 09:49 AM

Is it one of these?

http://www.partstree...hTerm=ariens gt

Garry

#4 Kyle01 OFFLINE  

Kyle01
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yes sir, 931012/931013 shows the identical peerless trans.... not available.  

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Welcome aboard Kyle.  I'm sure some of the guys will be on soon to give you a helping hand.

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:19 AM

I have a transaxle with differential issues if you would be interested.  It has a "click" in the diffy when turning.  It runs straight all day long without clicking.  It still works fine, but I would suggest swapping differentials to be safe.  PM me if you are interested.

BTW...It took me about a year to find a used replacement transaxle for my S14G.  They are hard to find.  I've heard some Massey garden tractors used the same Peerless transaxle.  You can try looking at that as well.

• Kyle01 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 10:28 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a special tractor for you and if you parted with it you will regret it. Check our Manuals Section for the tractor and the transmission manuals(they are in different catagories). Check our sponsors for parts. Chances are, you will have to take the tranny out and apart. The problem could be as simple as a retainer failing. Which model Peerless is it? Ask questions and post clear pics. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 04, 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• jimmy G said thank you

#8 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 11:07 AM

Also...that's a Peerless 2335 transaxle.  A lot of internal parts interchange on the 2300 series transaxles.  If you can find a donor transaxle locally, you could use the internals to fix yours.

• boyscout862 and jimmy G have said thanks

#9 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,101 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 11:31 AM

I agree, the memory's are worth the fix, it sounds like something simple and guessing to much play in the gears, good used parts are out there and I'm sure someone here will have what you need, if all else fails i might be a last ditch sorce as i have been collecting older peerless trany's, i dont generally sell anything but do like a good cause good luck
  • boyscout862 and Kyle01 have said thanks

#10 Kyle01 OFFLINE  

Kyle01
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the great info guys.  Member Billy M- I'll PM you soon, sounds like that'll be just what the doctor ordered.  Now that i'm hearing it's worth taking apart... i know the direction i'm going!  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,607 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 04:48 PM

:welcometogttalk::wewantpics: Please. 

#12 Kyle01 OFFLINE  

Kyle01
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 08:45 PM

Pics- sure thing guys! I'll be back up to my property the weekend of the 13th and I'll get some snaps.

Here's a killer- years back my dad sold off the 2-stage snow blower and pto tiller! I'd love to see this old girl blow some snow!

#13 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 33 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 12:16 AM

Hi there the sears custom 6 and custom 7 used the peerless transaxle. I had a 1966  sears custom 6 with a 4 speed peerless gearbox. maybe parts are interchangeable?  I think earlier john deere used a peerless tranny Good luck

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,043 Thanks
  • 2,696 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 11:11 AM

I see you are listed as being from Chicago? I'm an hour away and have a couple of Ariens GTs in various stages of being worked on
You say your Dad sold off a snowblower for one, I have been trying to find one within 75 miles or so that don't cost a mint.. seems like there's nothing available around here.

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 4,987 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 08:35 PM

Welcome!
Looks like good advice above. Hopefully it works out for you and you get to enjoy it again for years.