• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Clevis ONLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 231 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 12:22 AM

Glad you were able to pick up your first Bolens and stop lurking. Welcome! Keep us up to speed on how you progress with your new toy.
  • boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#17 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,763 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 03:09 AM

Glad you were able to pick up your first Bolens and stop lurking. Welcome! Keep us up to speed on how you progress with your new toy.

:ditto:

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,570 Thanks
  • 9,050 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 06:52 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section. You can download Bolens manuals and sale brochures(3 for free per day). Good Luck, Rick

• logmillingman said thank you

#19 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 480 Thanks
  • 465 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 10:02 PM

Wow that's great to find those old tractors, especially where you live !! Please keep us up on your progress. We all love the story's and pictures of how these restorations come along . There are a few parts guys here that can help with parts and info on everything.

#20 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 356 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum John. I am one of the UK members and I am sure some of the other UK guys will be along soon.

Bolens can be hard to find in the UK but they do surface every now and then.

Your 800 looks great and you have come to the right place for support and encouragement.

Iain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bolens800uk and logmillingman have said thanks

#21 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,722 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hello John,

Welcome to the Bolens Family; you will love that 800 once it's up and running. You did well to score all those implements too and it would be great to see those attachments too.....

Plenty of invaluable advice here. As Iain says, Bolens Tube Frames tractors do pop up here in the UK from time to time but implements are harder to find.

Keep us posted of any developments.

Andrew

#22 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,365 Thanks
  • 1,810 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 09:36 PM

:welcometogttalk: Great Catch! on an Island in the middle of the Irish Sea, Gotta love it. Enjoy every moment. :D

#23 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 459 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi John,

I am also a UK Bolens owner. Not been on here for a while!

Plenty in the UK to find, I had one like yours but sold it to Iain earlier in the year to help raise funds for another project

Sure Dave will be along soon. He is a serious collector & has some very nice examples :thumbs:

Chris

#24 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 117 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 05:17 PM

welcome to the site - I would like to see some pictures of the "Ransom crawler" - sounds like that's a pretty interesting piece of equipment too

#25 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • 459 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 01:50 PM

This is my Ransomes MG40 Diesel if your wondering what they are. Had it 11 years  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• phone25 038.jpg

• olcowhand, Newpaws493, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#26 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 117 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 11:56 PM

that is one interesting little machine - what attachments does it have? also, does the "MG" have anything to do with the MG from Morris Garage (aka MGA,MGB, MGTD, MGTF, Midget, etc...)

#27 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • 459 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 02:04 AM

MG stands for Market Garden

Mine was the last model which Ransomes built fitted with a Drayton 7hp 2 Stroke Diesel Engine in 1963

3 forward & 3 reverse gears. It will pull a house down :D

Hydraulic 3 point lift

I have a tool frame & ploughs for it. Did have a tiller but sold that years ago

Have have plenty of people asking if I want to sell it over the years but the answer is always NO :thumbs:

Sorry for going off Johns topic!!

• KennyP, Newpaws493, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#28 Daves Bolens UK OFFLINE  

Daves Bolens UK
  • Member No: 79375
  • 279 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 01:18 PM

Welcome John. I am also in the UK. It's unbelievable where these little tractors turn up. Looks like a great project. Will look forward to updates
  • Bolens800uk and logmillingman have said thanks

#29 Warmsteel OFFLINE  

Warmsteel
  • Member No: 88333
  • 83 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 05:28 AM

Hello chaps (Oh very British J)

Thank you to every one for their warm welcome to GTalk. Thank you to Bolens 1000 for confirming the model of my Bolens and thank you to the UK chaps for saying hello.

I am sure that most if not all of you are familiar with how that pesky thing called work gets in the way of ones enjoyments, well that is how I found myself since having brought the Bolens home, eager to get going but very little time.

That said I have been contemplating the predicament of where to start. I managed to get to the place where I am storing the attachments to inspect and to take some photos but only having got one photo the battery dies on the camera! Never the less I got a photo of the second set of rims/tyres but the camera didnt save it and I found the rest of the original engine. P1060919.JPG

The original engine has been completely disassembled and I do not know why but as it is in this state it may be better to rebuild it whilst working on the tractor its self?

Further assessment of the tractor reveals that the starter/Generator is actually a Lucas C40 dynamo and I am wondering if this is a standard factory fit/UK spec for the UK models or if it was changed sometime during the life of the tractor, perhaps when the replacement engine was fitted? If anyone has information on this I would be pleased to hear from them.

Having removed the famous axil locking pin I find that the axil is very stiff with the left wheel locking at times if I try to move it but it does move if I push the tyre. The front PTO is very difficult to turn if not almost sized and the steering has a huge amount of play in it, almost a ¼ turn, the wife certainly wouldn’t like that!

So, I am thinking that perhaps it is a good Idea to do a nuts and bolts restoration as this would ensure that all of the components are or should be working correctly, I hope.

I am also thinking that a hydraulic kit would be most useful as this would enable the wife to drive it more easily and also operate the attachment lever, how rare are these hydraulic kits?

I have some time this week so I hope to make a start to take it apart so that I can start to make a parts list as I suspect that I will have to get all of the parts from the States and I would like to try and get what I need all in one go, but we all know Murphy’s law!

To answer firedudetl1's request, here Attached File  P1060167.MOV   9.68MB   39 downloads is a Ransom MG 5 in action with the owner actually using the rotavator attachment and with the wife rotavating the field/plot, her way Attached File  P1060174.MOV   29.56MB   48 downloads 

Also, this is the wife inspecting her new ride, I suspect that somehow (she thought) it would spring into life……………..? (edit) for some reason this video wont upload?

And a brochure about the Ransom MG attachments Attached File  Ransomes-MG6-Implements-Catalogue.pdf   2.38MB   12 downloads

I will try and get some photos of the attachments for you chaps but in the meantime, disassembly begins.

All the best

John

(Isle of Man)

• KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#30 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,250 Thanks
  • 1,109 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Another one saved nice find!