#1 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Picked the last of the 2017 corn this weekend, 15 cobs that went straight into boiling water and then de-cobbed into 4 freezer bags.  Really nice corn again this year but we will probably be changing varieties for 2018.  Have been using SC1336 which is a Monsanto-owned variety but not GMO (I know, I know, Monsanto owns many of the worlds plant genetics), and we need to change.  Also, germination for this corn is less than expected.

Here are some pics of the clean up.  Corn stalks cut and stooked for drying and then shredding in a few weeks.  Cleaned up a lot of the flower beds also to be put on the shredding pile.  All material gets worked back into soil.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 1.jpg
  • garden 2.jpg
  • garden 3.jpg
  • garden 4.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,705 Thanks
  • 6,487 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 10:37 AM

Great looking garden and machinery.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 697 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 12:50 PM

Looks good. My corn was done a few weeks ago. I have been cutting the stalks down, a dozen or so a day and tossing them over the fence to the pigs. I am going to try and pick the last of the beans today and fix a couple spots in the fence, then turn the pigs out in the garden and let them do the clean up.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171001_134451.jpg

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,526 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 09:02 AM

My garden is almost ready for bed as well.  I'll  leave the turnips and parsnips out  for a while yet, but the rest of the garden has been cultivated and corn stalks etc. have gone over the fence for the cows.  All summer they pretty well ignore me when I'm out there, but in the fall they come running when they see me start cleaning things up. Clever cows!

• KennyP, CanadianHobbyFarmer and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#5 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted October 13, 2017 - 11:18 PM

I still have lots of tomatoes ripening daily ,Cucumbers and Peppers so my garden is still going strong.I have however started piling up my multch for my plants next spring,I have what I think is a pretty good racket going on.I get paid real well to clean up the leaves from my neighbors yards(some of the larger yards fetch me up to $150)then I haul the leaves to my place and put them next to the garden for next years use,Really keeps the weeds down and really improves the soil as they break down real well over the summer,I hauled 3 truck loads a couple days ago,A little food for thought for you guys,Makin and savin money

Edited by Reed Breneman, October 13, 2017 - 11:18 PM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,999 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 07:28 PM

I still have lots of tomatoes ripening daily ,Cucumbers and Peppers so my garden is still going strong.I have however started piling up my multch for my plants next spring,I have what I think is a pretty good racket going on.I get paid real well to clean up the leaves from my neighbors yards(some of the larger yards fetch me up to $150)then I haul the leaves to my place and put them next to the garden for next years use,Really keeps the weeds down and really improves the soil as they break down real well over the summer,I hauled 3 truck loads a couple days ago,A little food for thought for you guys,Makin and savin money

Do you end up with alot of worms? Good Luck, Rick

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#7 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 10:03 AM

Do you end up with alot of worms? Good Luck, Rick

The good fishin type yes I do and  night crawlers

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 267 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 09:37 AM

The Mrs. and I pulled the beans and tomato plants a couple of days ago.  No hard frost yet, but neither were doing much with the reduced sunlight and highs only in the low 50's.  Still have most of the root crops and brassicas in the ground, plus some spinach. 

We planted some late peas in the end of July to see how they would do.  We will try planting them around the 4th next year.  They just needed a little  more time. 

Our ground normally does not freeze as we get snow before it gets real cold, so we often leave some carrots in the ground.  One year we covered them with straw and laid some plastic sheet over the top of the straw to keep things insulated if the snow was late.  What we discovered too late was that we had created a perfect habitat for mice, and the ate the carrots from the top down!  We will do straw again this year, but no plastic!

Only 4 more months, and we will get to start next years plants inside.

D.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks