8 replies to this topic

#1 mrcrispi OFFLINE  

mrcrispi

• Member No: 4404
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi guys!
I'm new to the site, but seems like a good place to seek help from individuals with the same if not similar tractor as mine.
I just bought a Montgomery ward gilson tractor from a guy down the road, and am picking it up tomorrow. I paid $85.00:D (think it was a good deal?)

Anyways. The guy had it running a bout 3 years ago. Then he attempted to fix the lights and shorted something out.. (or so he says) The tractor can crank over but not start. :confuse:

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should do/ look at when i first get it tomorrow?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Welcome mrcrispi !! Glad you joined . If you know the model # you could check the "Manuals" for one to download , help troubleshooting problems you'll encounter with you new tractor . Al

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 12:13 AM

You may be looking at something as simple as a fuse, as complicated as a spark module or magneto.

In order to be of more assistance, let us know the model of the tractor and the engine. The engine will give someone a lot of clues as to what you are dealing with.

Hopefully, a simple fix... :welcome: to GTTalk!

#4 mrcrispi OFFLINE  

mrcrispi

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hey all, got the tractor today!
spent a few hours working on it. Cranks over but doesnt start as the guy said..
There was a metal tag on the right side of the tractor. Which read:
Model no. Gil33145b
Serial no. 37x47846
The guy gave me a few manuals (although not for this specific machine, I believe their close enough).. and on one of the papers written down said "Model: 326474-0134-01" and above "0134" is written "type". I figure this is the engine no.?
What do you guys think?

OH. and here are some pictures that where in the ad:
monkeywards foto.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• MWGT2.jpg
  • MWGT.jpg

#5 gabeguy OFFLINE  

gabeguy

• Member No: 4438
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hi,
I had a look in the manuals section at the manual for a 33148a, which shows that there is a 15 amp fuse located on the left side just below the battery. I suspect your tractor is laid out in a similar way. The manual has a picture of the location if you have difficulty finding it. That is the first thing I would check. Good luck - you will get the help you need in this forum.
- Grant

#6 mrcrispi OFFLINE  

mrcrispi

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hello,
I've located that fuse the other day, and it's in fine condition. Without it, the tractor won't even turn over.
My father and I are trying to mess with the points and condenser setup. Anyone know where to get a wiring diagram for the whole tractor? Some of the wiring seems funky.

Will keep posted. Thanks everyone!

#7 gabeguy OFFLINE  

gabeguy

• Member No: 4438
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 12:54 AM

Hi - I just thought of something that caught me when I first got my tractor. It may or may not apply to yours. There is a kill switch integrated into the throttle linkage - when the throttle is in the slowest position the magneto coil is shorted to ground to kill the engine. In order to get spark and start the engine the throttle must be advanced somewhat from the minimum position. Have you verified whether you are getting spark or not? If the tractor has just been sitting for three years it is fairly likely that the points need cleaning at least. If the tractor sat with gas in it, the fuel system is probably gunmmed up. Once you are sure you have spark I would try to start on starting spray. If it catches briefly on starting spray your problem is likely in the fuel system (eg. gummed up carb). I don't think you have to worry about the 12 volt wiring being part of the starting problem since it is independant of the magneto ignition system. It's more or less a process of elimination at this point - don't give up hope.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 04:04 AM

I think you are in for pulling the cover off on the flywheel side and seeing what's what. Sometimes just cleaning the magnets and magneto pickup will cure this condition.

Before you do that tho, isolate the kill wire for the mag and disconnect it at the switch. Then try for spark again. If he was messing with the wiring, he may have a short to ground on the mag line somewhere or messed up the switch & it's staying shorted. This would kill spark completely.

#9 mrcrispi OFFLINE  

mrcrispi

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't replied in a while.. I figured out the problem, :laughingteeth:
THERE WAS NO WIRE GOING TO THE POINTS AND CONDENSER! wow, it was so simple!
Thanks all :worshippy2::D:D
  • MH81 said thank you