• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 10:17 AM

So I replaced the drive/ traction belt and I think I adjusted the clutch right but the clutch does not disengage when I press in the pedal and I cannot shift. I saw another post to this nature in 2012 but I believe I have followed the process correctly.... but maybe I didn't.  I am not expert on this stuff. 

Here is a video of where I am at:  https://youtu.be/SB1eZf_hMls

So anyway....any ideas that have worked from all of your experience? See pictures for where I am now.

Let me know.  Thanks.

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• Drive Belt Diagram.jpg
  • Belt.jpg
  • New Belt.jpg
  • Old Belt.jpg

Edited by OldBlue120, September 30, 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,797 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 10:36 AM

Did you clean the pulleys? Sand any rust off the working surfaces. It looks like the pulley is supposed to let the belt slip when you take the tension off.  Does the idler pulley retract so that it allows the belt to be fully loose?, Is the brake adjusted to stop the transmission gears from spinning when the clutch is depressed? It is probably one of these unless the belt is short. Good Luck, Rick

• OldBlue120 said thank you

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,371 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 10:41 AM

First, your tractor is a Ford 120, not an LGT......not that it matters, just sayin'.

Anyways, when I put a new belt on my LGT100, the belt was grabby for a while but got better as it wore in a bit. 

Is that picture of when the belt is tight or loose (clutch in)?......Looks a bit tight if the clutch is pressed in

#4 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 981 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 11:04 AM

Lossens the engine bolts and slide the engine back. That's how you adjust the belt
  • boyscout862 and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 539 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 05:24 PM

There should be something to support the long belt spans when the belt is loose or it will keep trying to drive. Is there something in the belt guard to do this? There should be minimal sag between the pulleys.

Garry

Edited by GWest, September 30, 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#6 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 02:49 PM

First, your tractor is a Ford 120, not an LGT......not that it matters, just sayin'.

Anyways, when I put a new belt on my LGT100, the belt was grabby for a while but got better as it wore in a bit. 

Is that picture of when the belt is tight or loose (clutch in)?......Looks a bit tight if the clutch is pressed in

Here is the operators manual we got when we bought it new in 1970. It says "L"awn and "G"arden "T"ractor on the cover.
So when I say its an LGT 120 I hope nobody thinks its a Lesbian Gay Transtractor. 

I always thought that it was referred to as an LGT 120. I will call it a Ford 120 from now on.  We've only had it 47 years so I guess I should have known that by now. .

The picture is with the clutch out. released. So it should be tight....but If anything the belt seems too loose from my observation.  But I have heard others say the same thing the belt wore a bit and started working.  Kind of odd, but I guess its possible. Meanwhile I don't know how I am supposed to shift it in gear which is necessary.

The belt is constantly spinning with the clutch in or out. I thought the whole thing stopped spinning when the clutch was pressed in.

Attached Thumbnails

• Operators Manual Cover.jpg

Edited by OldBlue120, October 05, 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• TravelinJavelin said thank you

#7 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Did you clean the pulleys? Sand any rust off the working surfaces. It looks like the pulley is supposed to let the belt slip when you take the tension off.  Does the idler pulley retract so that it allows the belt to be fully loose?, Is the brake adjusted to stop the transmission gears from spinning when the clutch is depressed? It is probably one of these unless the belt is short. Good Luck, Rick

I didn't clean the pulleys. There was no rust on pulleys. I think there is a pulley missing to be honest. It seems like there should be one back about same distance back as the battery.  I haven't had that cover off in decades so I don't know.  

The big problem seems to be that the belt is just spinning constantly. I push in the brake / clutch and nothing happens, it just spins and spins.... Yes when the clutch is pressed in the belt goes very loose and the pulley actually is free of the belt.   I think it may be something in the brake adjustment.
The transmission pulley is spinning and it never stops.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:12 PM

There should be something to support the long belt spans when the belt is loose or it will keep trying to drive. Is there something in the belt guard to do this? There should be minimal sag between the pulleys.

Garry

Edited by OldBlue120, October 05, 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#9 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:14 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• Belt 2 .jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#10 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:16 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. I am hopeful to get this resolved.

Paul

#11 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 94 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:17 PM

Garry

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,894 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yes, there should be a pulley there! Not sure what else you are missing.

#13 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 981 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:45 PM

No there is not supposed to be a pulley. Only a hydro had the extra pulley. I can show you 10 plus of my gear drives and none have the extra pulley. The belt is adjust by the engine. The pedal is adjusted by a clevis you lossens on the clutch rod.

#14 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 981 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 03:52 PM

When I get home I will post pics of an all original 67 gear drive moline. No extra pulley
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,894 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 04:10 PM