• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • Member No: 88161
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 12:25 AM

My carburettor on my rover mower , Briggs and Stratton quantum xtl 50 engine , the butterfly inside opens very little on full throttle,moves quite a lot even when I'm not touching the throttle, should the butterfly vein be fully open when full throttle is on ? , also I'm sure the primer button isn't working correctly so pretty sure i need to help to make a better seal, its getting fuel when running as I can see it coming out of the carburettor brass feeder , would the governor be the issue? Or spring on the throttle being stretched?
  • 4APK.RU said thank you

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,369 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 06:32 AM

Is it running OK or badly?.....If running OK, I would say the governor is doing its job and giving it what it needs throttle wise. 

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 09:58 AM

If the butter fly opened wide open with the throttle control set wide open and no load. it would mean the governor had failed. The governor keeps the throttle plate close to closed until engine load requires it to open to maintain RPM. Don   

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,335 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 04:24 PM

Make sure the air filter is not oil soaked or really dirty. And make sure you don't have any water or dirt inside the carb. 1 little drop of water laying in the bottom of the carb will give you problems.

Is the gasket still between the carb and plastic air filter plate? If it's not there the primer doesn't work very well.

Is the rubber O-Ring still in place? It seals between he carb and intake tube behind the carb. 

Partly sheered flywheel key makes them run poorly also. Timing doesn't have to be much more than a hair off for them to sputter and carry on.

If the spring is stretched a bit you can bend the metal tab that it hooks to forward towards the head a little. That will give you a bit more throttle. Just don't bend it to much the governors are touchy.  Go through the carburetor and make sure it's clean inside before adjusting anything.

Here I circled the tab that you can bend to get a bit more throttle out of it.

Bend it with your finger slightly forward towards the front of the mower. It's easy to bend.  Just the part where the spring attaches that's circled in green.

Untitled.jpg

Briggs quantum are good little engines and really simple to work on. Very rarely does the governor gear bad on them. I've had a bunch with blown connecting rods and big holes in the block but the governors were almost always intact.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 29, 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,335 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I have a 4 of these engines torn apart and 3 on mowers if you need Pics.

The ones I have torn apart have Bent crankshafts or were ran without oil but they all still ran.

#6 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 02:12 AM

I've replaced everything and only I've moved is the governor arm, as it didn't have rpm after turning over and I've moved the coil also but I will readjust that to 0.13 gap , I just used a business card , I have checked the governor and it does move and open and close the carb butterfly, so hopefully it's not broken, if it's broken is it worth fixing the engine ? Or should I just bin it ? , I could fix it doesn't look difficult, when it starts and it does the engine screams at full tilt, I can adjust the revs just pulling back on the governor sprint , I will probably find a small engine engineer locally to have a look

#7 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 02:15 AM

I have tried to adjust the governor but as I'm not 100 % on what I'm doing it's probably best for someone that does

#8 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted October 01, 2017 - 10:50 AM

Pictures of the throttle system might help get a response that solves your problem. Don 

#9 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 02:38 PM

05401DAB-F97C-4755-B325-2CD89B186F15.jpeg 9CBEA93F-DEDB-446D-A9F7-95116C9E3EF4.jpeg 299C603D-7E0D-4D09-9FB2-CCB7CCABEAFA.jpeg DDE39C36-5D55-4C50-A81A-805D825DBBFE.jpeg 64259957-B824-4C80-BBBC-AB19DBE6251A.jpeg E2B9A3BC-2315-4309-ABF9-C829910ECBCF.png

The last image is of the spring I have purchased to replace the old one seen in images, I can not purchase here in the uk so I’ve got to import from USA , some charge £10 which is about $15 so I’m thinking of trying to make my own springs

Edited by Torri gwair, October 02, 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted October 02, 2017 - 08:03 PM

I have looked at the pictures and not come up with a solution. To try to help I can only try to describe normal operation of a governor. In every governor I have worked on the governor arm was directly coupled to the butterfly. the operator throttle control is hooked to the throttle arm or butterfly by a spring. The spring pulls the butterfly open. the governor pulls the butterfly closed. If the engine is not running the spring wins and pulls the butterfly wide open. If the engine is running the governor pulls against the spring to close the butterfly. If you release the spring tension the butterfly should be pulled closed by nearly any rpm. If you relive the spring tension and the engine still goes wide open either the governor is bad or the linkage from the governor to the butterfly is wrong. Don    

#11 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 05:32 AM

Thank you don I’m pretty sure it’s the governor is set wrong as I’ve tinkered with it but I will get it sorted

#12 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 06:10 AM

I’ve also been given a puller for the blade boss as it’s stuck fast, I need to replace the boss as some of the bolts have sheared in it ! , or I will probably drill them out and just use bolts straight through

#13 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 06:15 AM

The governor is set fully open on the carburettor so the butterfly is fully open when engine is not running as a YouTube guy stated “tyraldactil” on YouTube, so turn governor bolt clockwise until it his the governor plate internal pull back the governor arm to the left and then tighten nuts on the governor arm, making sure the carburettor butterfly is fully open ? Is this correct ?

#14 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 06:16 AM

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-