3 replies to this topic

#1 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 02:08 PM

My newest acquisition. Hood is in the garage. Mainly got it for the engine. Always wanted an opposed twin Briggs. Has sat for a long time, but cleaned the battery terminals, and she started right up. Carburetor needs a good cleaning as she is surging pretty bad right now. I have cleaned and painted some engine panels already. Will address the carb issue soon. Stacks are in the plans, also.

Attached Thumbnails

• Huskee 004.jpg
  • Huskee 001.jpg
  • Huskee 002.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 05:34 PM

Are you going to use it as the main mower?

We have a Huskee also, I think it might be a little newer but we use it for doing most of the mowing around the house.

#3 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Nope, not the main mower. I have my little JD GX75 for around the house. This little gem is gonna be my play thing. I have so many. LOL! Huskee is a good mower if used for its intended purpose. Lots of people use them for almost commercial work, and then complain like the dickens when it doesn't hold up. This thing was used hard, and not properly maintained. The spindle nuts are completely rounded off from hitting obstacles. I have to cut them off! We shall see how things go. Carburetor is next.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Sweet another Opposed twin Saved.

They're an awesome engine.And the 20hp is one of the biggest and baddest of the family.They made a 20.5hp also but I think it was an 18hp block with 20hp carb and slightly bigger jet.

I had a bunch of 14-18hp twins.My favorite was the 18hp cast bore that I put a 20.5hp carb on and opened up the jets on.It smoked Black on start-up and when gunning the throttle open.It had more power than I knew what to do with.
And even with the enlarged jet it wasn't that bad on Fuel.

My 18hp was put to work in a later 70's model Montgomery Wards 76-79 hydro gt18.You couldn't keep the thing from spinning the tires off.23x9.50x12 Turf tires loaded with antifreeze and 50lb wheel weights and Chains.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the Coils and Fuel pumps.
The Coils would work perfect one time till you shut the tractor off.Then BLA dead coil.:wallbanging:
A weak fuel pump would act like a partly clogged Jet one minute and then BLA dead.

Coils are like $40 and full carb kits with new Fuel pump diaphragms are around $24 so they are still cheaper than most to fix.

I would stick one in my Cub cadet 127 in a minute if I knew that I could make it fit without cutting the living heck out of the frame.

Cub Cadet 127 is a Narrow frame Cub.They had special Narrowed block K series single cylinder engines in them.Some Case tractors used the same narrow blocks.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 27, 2011 - 01:09 PM.