• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,233 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 04:37 PM

Anyone ever done a repower with a predator twin from harbour freight?

I'm looking into repower a Massey 14 due having a wicked knock just turning over with the starter. Coil also was hot enough there was some "blue air" after dad grabbed it.

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 05:12 PM

They used to have pretty severe governor and carburetor issues but i don't know how they are now.  Do not get one with the EPA Emission Carb on it. They run horribly lean.  

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,009 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 05:39 PM

I have a Bolens re-power with a Greyhound 11hp in it.  This is right before the Predator line came out.  Seem to be a good strong running engine.  May blow up the next time I fire it up - who knows?

#4 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,233 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 05:47 PM

They used to have pretty severe governor and carburetor issues but i don't know how they are now. Do not get one with the EPA Emission Carb on it. They run horribly lean.

What kind of governor issues?

fiddling with the carb adjustments to make it run proper, instead of too lean would solve that wouldn't it?

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 06:53 PM

I ran away from the predator engines, or the carroll stream , lifan etc. I have done enough research to tell me not to throw my money away on disposable engines. I have helped my neighbor with a few of them and was not at all impressed with the build quality. Parts Pfffft , there is no support on those engines , the gaskets melt in your hand. When brand new they do fire up and work well but I would have more faith in fixing your old engine. 

The massey 14 is a kohler right?

#6 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 830 Thanks
  • 436 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 09:27 PM

Yes Massey 14 has a Kohler K321 

Why not find another K321 or K341

Then it be real easy

They go for around 200 in my area 

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 10:49 PM

What kind of governor issues?

fiddling with the carb adjustments to make it run proper, instead of too lean would solve that wouldn't it?

Plastic governor gear flying apart and the carbs have fixed non-adjustable jets. Did some digging and they did address the governor gear issue but there still using the same carbs.

The carbs are setup for strict EPA standards and thus do not give the engine enough fuel to run properly.

You'll be ok if you do away with the big EPA emission muffler and slightly enlarge the jets. They have some sort of catalytic converter built into the muffler and the carb is jetted to run lean to keep the converter hot and clean.

Better yet, get an aftermarket honda gx670 carburetor for around $50 on ebay and put it on a 670 Predator. They still have fixed main jets but fully adjustable idle jets. They are not EPA regulated.

https://www.ebay.com...uretor&_sacat=0

Edited by EricFromPa, September 27, 2017 - 10:55 PM.

• Cvans, Greasy6020 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#8 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,233 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 06:43 AM

I ran away from the predator engines, or the carroll stream , lifan etc. I have done enough research to tell me not to throw my money away on disposable engines. I have helped my neighbor with a few of them and was not at all impressed with the build quality. Parts Pfffft , there is no support on those engines , the gaskets melt in your hand. When brand new they do fire up and work well but I would have more faith in fixing your old engine.

The massey 14 is a kohler right?

I understand... thing is the kohler has a wicked knock. Only reason I discovered this was because I was trying to get it to start the other day.

That's why I was looking into the predator vtwins

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 07:07 AM

I understand... thing is the kohler has a wicked knock. Only reason I discovered this was because I was trying to get it to start the other day.

That's why I was looking into the predator vtwins

I recently gave up on a few HH120's only because parts are not available for them. I have two blocks that need an overbore but finding over sized pistons is not an easy or cheap task. out of 3 engines I have one operational carburetor and to pay 100 plus for a 50 year old rebuilt one was not going to happen. Also the ignition systems on tecumseh is obsolete  but the option of buying 50 year old plus electronic for another 150.00 or so was again not going to happen.

Kohler on the other hand you can still get stuff for and the cost is reasonable. I have a 12 hp kohler I rebuilt and its awesome. Wish it could have worked out the same for the tecumseh's. 

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 11:22 AM

Rebiulding the K series Kohlers are getting harder and harder... mostly only aftermarket stuff now..
I have a Predator engine on my 2" pump and it runs flawless! And has now for 3 years.. last year it got a workout pumping water from the brook during the drought..

#11 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 03:31 PM

You could rebuild that Kohler a couple times, with the money and time it'll take to put that Predator in there. Plus you'll still have an original beast of a machine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Greasy6020 and pryan05 have said thanks