#17 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 20 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 07:19 PM

Since I know we all love pictures, I thought I would revisit the original mounting brackets on the Magnum M10 in the event anyone else attempts or questions if this engine will fit into the same spot as the K301. 

The first two photos are of me holding the original Ford engine mounting brackets in line with the mounting holes.  The bracket is held as close as I can get it as the flywheel shroud is keeping the bracket from snugging up.   With nearly 3/8" gap, it leads me to believe the M10 flywheel/shroud is larger in diameter than the original K301.  Can anyone attest to this for certain?  I can manage to "widdle" a little of the angle part of the bracket away with a Dremel to make room for the oil pan on its edge; not much needs to be taken off. 

Additionally, in its current state, I would not be able to get a bolt through the top hole of the mounting bracket on the flywheel side to go down through the isolator.  This is because the bracket is laying flush against the shroud. 

The third photo is a side view/slice of the M10 engine with no brackets.  I know it was said earlier to remove the original mounts off the frame and use a steel plate; which is pretty much the direction I think I need to go on this build.  But, to have any support whatsoever on the flywheel side due to the sump, I truly believe I need to acquire a flat oil pan and get rid of the sump oil pan.  I say this because after you remove the middle for the sump, your steel plate mounting bracket will look like a "U" with arms on the flywheel side and you will have no support.  Any thoughts on this?

Thank you all once again for your time and consideration.

Aaron

Attached Thumbnails

• mount01.jpg
  • mount02.jpg
  • mount03.jpg

• pryan05 said thank you

#18 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 571 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted October 07, 2017 - 03:11 AM

Are you able to put spacers or shims between the brackets and the motor? You pretty much have to make sure the drive shaft is all lined up then work your mounts from there. As for the hole near the shroud you could fill that hole with weld than drill and tap threads and use a cap screw from the fubber mount side. You are on the right track.

#19 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 12:50 PM

Coming back to this thread to ask for a bit of knowledge.  I will get pictures posted of the engine swap and drive shaft but need to ask something of a bit more importance first.  As I moved the tractor across the garage floor the other night, with the tractor in neutral or "free wheel," I heard a noise as if something metal is being picked up by a gear then dropped through the oil and it hit the bottom of the transaxle housing.  Of course this is concerning to me as I am quite certain there ought not be any loose pieces floating around.  This is the first time I have heard this of all the times the tractor has been moved.

With that being said, is there a specific transaxle identification tag (model/serial) for this Peerless unit where I can properly acquire a parts breakdown of the unit itself?  I have looked all around this and cannot locate anything so I am not certain if it is stamped into the housing or if it is on the flat side of the housing facing the inside of the frame where it is not able to be seen.

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aaron

• KennyP said thank you

#20 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 3,072 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Do you have pics of the K301 pan?  Will it simply bolt to the M10?  The K301 in my JD 120 is solid mounted to the frame with bolts going through the frame into the cast iron oil pan.  

#21 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 06:52 PM

HI Travis, I apologize but I unfortunately do not have pics of the K301 engine as we rec'd the machine without an engine.  This was when we decided to go with an M10 from a Cadet donor.  Knowing this tractor originally had a K301 with a sump style oil pan on it, I can now tell you the K301 and M10 sump style oil pan exterior formations are different.  The bolt pattern and block mating surfaces may be the same, but the external is very much different. The M10 sump seems to be wider and deeper.  Figuring this out was the area where the greatest amount of time was spent.  Hope this helps.

Aaron

• KennyP said thank you

#22 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 571 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 07:18 PM

You can get a parts diagram on New Holland website.  Also if roll the tractor around and it's not quite in neutral it can make a clicking noise, I have notice that noise on both of my LGTs.  To be certain you can drop the oil out of the transaxle to see if there any metal shavings in the bottom of the tranny.  The transaxle is easier to take apart than to take out of the tractor.  

• limebuzz said thank you

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,671 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 05:52 PM

huh... posted here on my lunch break from my stupid phone, post didnt show up....