#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,488 Thanks
  • 9,323 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for all the help. I got a new regulator and installed it. I cleaned the air compressor up and changed the oil. But now it seems the capacitor isn't working with the motor. I'm not real sharp with electronics. The old capacitor has a lot of numbers on it and I don't know how many are important.

This is what seems like numbers that aren't stock numbers: CBB60, 120uF+- 5% SH, 250ac 50/60 HZ

Can you recommend what I need? The old cap. mounts with a stud on the rear.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,006 Thanks
  • 8,787 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 04:48 PM

Wait a minute. I have not yet seen a capacitor on an air compressor motor give out. In the motor is a centrifical switch which has points that corrode. The points connect the capacitor to the motor but once the motor gets above a few hundred rpms, the points open for normal operation. I have fixed atleast a dozen of these over the passed 40 years by just cleanning the motor and points. Make sure the springs are moving freely. Good Luck, Rick
  • LilysDad said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 05:35 PM

Make sure your trying to run it on 220V and not 110/120 V.  Last numbers of the cap. tell you it is a 220/230 Vac unit.  The 250 is the max voltage rating.

#4 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 604 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lots of compressors have dual voltage motors (115v/230v) and will work with the same capacitor. I ran my Sears 1hp unit on 115v but it frequently tripped the breaker. Rewired the motor to work on 230v and works great now, same capacitor. +1 on boyscout862 post to check contacts in the motor.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,488 Thanks
  • 9,323 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 06:22 PM

This is a 110V unit. I have never had a problem with the motor until now. I took the motor hood off and cleaned off all the oil and sawdust with a pressure washer(avoiding the motor more or less).When I got it all together it started to run and quit. Then started to turn a little and stopped. Jerky off and on and stop. It turns freely by hand.

Edited by LilysDad, September 26, 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,488 Thanks
  • 9,323 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 06:29 PM

This isn't made anymore, but this is what I'm talking about.

air.jpg

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,488 Thanks
  • 9,323 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 06:41 PM

In the motor is a centrifical switch which has points that corrode. The points connect the capacitor to the motor but once the motor gets above a few hundred rpms, the points open for normal operation.

I went back and rechecked the parts schematic. I found no centrifugal switch and points. There is a pressure switch on the side of the tank wired in. ???

Edited by LilysDad, September 26, 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,006 Thanks
  • 8,787 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 09:07 PM

I don't know about you type air compressor. The points that I am talking about are inside the motor. I have found them in motors on all kinds of power tools. Good Luck, Rick

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,184 Thanks
  • 5,947 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 10:36 PM

If this uses a pressure switch to stop and start, the contacts in that could be bad or need cleaning.

#10 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,925 Thanks
  • 1,007 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 06:11 AM

I got tired of the little rinky dinky compressors they sell these days so I made me one. I had a 5hp campbell hausfeld that originally came installed on a 13 gallon horizontal mounted tank , its a great quiet compressor and fill fast but my take being a 13 gal was just to small, worked great as a portable when I needed a portable but I needed more air.

So my buddy had this Husky 26 gallon 1/3 hp thats only 6-8 months old and it died on him and he gave it to me. I got it running but I swear it took 20 minutes to fill the tank and if you plan on using the compressor it will run all day trying to keep up with you. That was short lived in my shop we ended up over heating and toasting the motor.

So now I go to pull out my old reliable campbell and start thinking about my tank I have had this thing for longer then I had my youngest son ...I am thinking this thing has got to be 20 plus years old, so I did a mock up in my head of what it would take to get it on to the husky talk.

This is where I learned about compressor systems and how they work. Before in the past I never cared..I plug it in it works and I didn't care how. But since I had to invest and make a repair I decided to learn a bit.

1st thing to check if your motor does not turn on is the pressure switch. You have two sets of wires that go to it..remove the plastic cover and put your meter on the plug side (hot side) and verify you have power. Now on the motor side with the switch off you should not have power turn the switch on and check for power coming from the switch to the motor. If you have power there when the switch in on then the problem is with the motor. My case it was the motor. 

• LilysDad and pryan05 have said thanks

#11 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,925 Thanks
  • 1,007 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 07:44 AM

I went and took a few photos of my frankincompressor.

As you can see I just cut the top off the old tank and just mounted it on the mount of the old tank. 

20170927_081448.jpg

My air fill line use to be a small copper tube so I put on a much larger line and boy does it help a lot. takes 48 seconds for it to cycle from 100 psi to 125. 

20170927_081459.jpg

husky.jpg

campb.jpg

20170927_081427.jpg

So if you find yourself needing a motor this is something to consider ...I have a feeling that those 1 hp and lower hp  motors are just not going to hold up for everyday use. As I stated above the husky only lasted 6-8 months. 

Little motors on big tanks = problems 

• Cvans and pryan05 have said thanks