#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Can anyone help me in determining the year of an old wheel horse that I recently bought? It is just a small little tractor, with a one piece hood, clam shell type fenders, straight steel front axle, and a 4hp Kohler K-91 motor. The gentleman I bought it from thought it was a John Deere, due to being painted green by someone else, and having the clam sheel type fenders. It clearly has wheel horse stamped on the front of the hood, but I bought it from him anyway, just because the money was right, $25.00. Anyway, I'd like to restore this little tractor, but I'm not sure what the year and model are. I was told it was an RJ58 or 59. I looked all over the tractor, and don't see a serial plate anywhere. Unfortunately, I took the tractor apart already, and didn't take any pictures of it before doing so. Any help would be appreciated, so please help if you can.
Johndeereelfman

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:15 PM

johndeereelfman, Welcome to GTtalk, Take some pictures of the transaxle, hood, and front axle. Sounds like a RJ35 to a RJ59. Glad you foud us, we have a lot of W.H. guys here to help you out. Again Welcome...

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Welcome johndeereelfman....texas deere and horse is right. Any pictures would be a big help. By the way, if it's complete and original you stole that one. Hope you plan on putting it back in it's real colors!

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:42 PM

Is the Wheel Horse name stamped in the front of the hood? Is the Transaxle a three piece boiler plate style or 2 piece cast unit?

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Wow! Thanks for getting back to me guys!

Texas Deere and Horse: Thanks for the Welcome. The wheel horse name is stamped into the hood. The transmission appears to be a cast iron rear, with the boiler plate sides.

Pharmer: Thank you too for the Welcome. It is a complete tractor from what I can tell. It has the fenders, rear lift cable, mower deck, and the shields. Again though, I don't know enough about them to tell if something is missing. There is one item that is not there, and that is the air cleaner. The gentleman I bought the tractor from, said he thinks it's laying around the shop somewhere, and if or when he ever comes across it, he will make sure I get it. I think I going to try and find one though, just in case he never gets back to me.

If this is a true RJ, that would be so great! I really bought this tractor for me son, who is small in size, and it just so happens that his name is Ryan James. Can I count on you guys for help, when it comes to locating paint, decals, a rubber lift handle grip, and a transmission shifter boot? Oh, one more thing. There is a hole in the round part of the hood, just below the steering column, about 1/2" in size. What was this hole for? I thought maybe a cigarette lighter, but the hole size isn't big enough, and it seems to be a dump location for one.

#6 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Does it look similar to this? If so, then it is an RJ-58:

Posted Image

There are more detailed shots on this webpage as well:Tractor Restoration How-To & Tutorials - Wheel Horse Tractor Manual, Owner Manual, Part List, Wiring Diagram, Documentation, Forum and much more - The Wheel Horse Tractor Manual and Documentation Website - My Wheel Horse dot Com

Edited by MikesRJ, June 27, 2011 - 05:21 PM.
text

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 04:44 PM

That's it! Well, other than someone before me painted it John Deere green. I hope mine will come out looking as good as your does. Thanks for the help.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:10 PM

You are one lucky fella! I wouldn't have been able to contain myself over that deal! I would have caught my pocket on fire getting the money out so fast! :bigrofl:

#9 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Methinks I would have wet myself!