• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• Member No: 4384
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Sooo, Last evening I was cutting the grass and the belt fell off my 316. I have only owned the tractor for a week or so and had noticed the belt had quite a bit of slack so I drug her into the garage and reinstalled/ adjusted the belt tension. Went out this morning and about 10 minutes in the belt snapped off. Pulled it back into the garage and verified all the blades turn freely. I don't see any issues with the tensioner. The belt looked old and was a little frayed. What I was wondering is if you all think It would be worthwhile to get a new belt and see what happens or is there an underlying issue? Thanks for any advice in advance!

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Which belt fell off, the pto mule drive belt or the deck belt that goes to all 3 blades?

#3 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 03:27 PM

The mule drive belt. The deck on my mower only has one pulley up top and it turns all 3 blades. Didn't even cross my mind until reading your post but i suppose under that spindle cover on top of the deck there is a belt turning the other 2 blades. I'll have to pull that off this evening and see what it looks like in there.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:31 PM

Does your mule drive have the tension setting decal on it?

#5 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 11:37 AM

The decal is gone, but it appears as though there was one at one time. I pulled the deck off put new blades in, cleaned it really well, lubed it, inspected the blade belt, and reinstalled it with a new belt. Just got done cutting the lawn and it seems to be working fine. I am hoping it was just an issue with the old belt.

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 10:52 AM

A word on JD belts - it's very important to use OEM belts. JD has spec their belts, including length, width, v-angle, etc. You will get better performance and long lasting use if you use OEM belts.

#7 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 05:36 PM

Good thread. I've tried to use my deck only once. Couldn't figure out if the tensioner was really working or not. I have the decal, but I either transposed the information or something wasn't working correctly.