• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,024 Thanks
  • 2,679 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 10:08 PM

I know someone who is having an estate sale (garage sale style) and has an Onan 4000 watt RV generator for sale. He doesn't know anything about it but he said that his brother has heard it run years ago. It has been sitting in a garage for years.
Question is, did Onan taper the PTO end of the crank on their generators like everyone else did? I'm thinking about picking it up as a engine donor. It's new enough to have an oil filter on it, have seen older versions that didn't...

#2 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm no Onan expert, but will the model/spec number off of the engine let you know what crank it has? Kohler numbers do. I tore down a Hobart welder/generator and it had a straight shaft on the KT17 I took off of it. I know a lot of smaller generators have tapered shafts though. Most of the ones I've found do anyway.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 11:15 PM

Every direct couple generator I have worked on had a tapered shaft, belt drive is straight shaft. I believe that the convention was adopted as the easiest and most cost effective way of keeping the unite as compact as possible. Don 

• Trav1s, dodge trucker and TomLGT195 have said thanks