Garden Tractor Forums banner

IPv.6 ??

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  NUTNDUN 
#1 ·
Good Day Guys, When I got online this morning, I had a meesage from Yahoo that I needed to upgrade to IP v. 6. Has anyone changed over to this from v.4, and is there any issues? Thanks

#4 ·
I got the new e-mail a couple days ago. No problems yet. Rest of it looks the same.

#5 ·
Most everything is capable of working with the new IP v6 format. Problem is when they came up with the original IP.v4 numbering system they didn't realize how big the internet was going to be at that time. Now they are running out of ip addresses and hence the IP.v6. With the new format there is no worries of ever running out of ip addresses.

#6 ·
texas deere and horse said:
Daniel, I use IE 8 and also I am learning how to use firefox. I use Yahoo as my search engine, home page and E-mail .
Brian, nearly every time I use IE 8, I get a virus. Don't use it unless I have to for some sites. Then run scans as soon as I close it.

#7 ·
KennyP said:
Brian, nearly every time I use IE 8, I get a virus. Don't use it unless I have to for some sites. Then run scans as soon as I close it.
I don't use Internet Explorer either. You can get viruses with any other browser also but it seems hackers target IE because it still is the most widely used browser out of all of them.

#9 ·
Brian, I am not sure what Yahoo has that would require updating unless they are meaning your browser? Upgrading should be fine though as it should be backwards compatible because there will always be IP.V4 addresses out there on the net.

#10 ·
I still haven't figured out what this is. I ain't got nutin' like that on this puter.

#12 ·
Didn't understand some, but got the idea of what it's for. Thanks for the link. Don't believe this old puter can handle some of the new-fangled stuff.

#13 ·
NUTNDUN said:
I don't use Internet Explorer either. You can get viruses with any other browser also but it seems hackers target IE because it still is the most widely used browser out of all of them.
I also NEVER use I.E. anymore,just Firefox and Chrome,although almost entirely Firefox now.

#16 ·
Tobal said:
I'm not sure you switch to IPv6, that request would come from your ISP not your search engine.
Yes, any notice about IPv6 would come from your isp. Your hardware/software would have to be compatible on the WAN(wide area network) interface for them to assign IPv6 addresses. They would need to send out some sort of notice to give you time to upgrade. The good thing is hardware in the last year or two has already been compatible. More then likely if you are behind a router you would only be a firmware update away from being compatible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.