• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aftonarrow OFFLINE  

aftonarrow

• Member No: 4388
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hi,new to the forum here and new to using my suburban to mow with.Ok,i hooked up my 38in deck today for the first time and the belt kept running off from under the idler pulley.The belt guide that goes over the idler pulley is way off.I dont know if someone has removed the pulley and not but a spacer back in?The idler pulley is about nearly a half inch out of alignment with the drive pulley on the deck?My question is this.Is there a spacer on the idler pulley?The sears diagram on the mower is too fuzzy and i cant make it out.Will the deck drive pulley move on a keyway to align it also?I brought this st 10 back from the dead.I love using it to plow,disc,and cultivate.This will be my workhorse here. If anyone has had the same problems with the mower deck,i would greatly appreciate any help.thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

We have a few Sears guys here that should be able to help you out.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 10:14 PM

I thought there was a manual for those. I will look in my files and see if I have one.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 10:21 PM

OK, Found it. Manual is HERE

If you are talking about part 8 in the exploded view, it looks to be held on with a set screw. A couple of notes on this deck... don't hit anything with it that isn't grass. There are several "Safety" pieces involved with this deck and i would assume the parts are getting scarce.

Parts #'d 2 & 68 are good examples. #2 is a splined drive coupler that will crack & slip under extreme circumstances. #68 is a break-away hub and my Dad went thru bunches of them when he was using his. I don't know where you'd even find one today. Inspect the right & left gear boxes for wear & proper lubrication.

I don't mean to make this unit sound fragile. Quite the opposite, it is a mowing fool.. will throw more grass than you can imagine. Just watch out for the little things & you'll get years of fun from it :D

Good luck & :welcome: to GTTalk!

Edited by MH81, June 26, 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:58 PM

ah, you beat me to it lol

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 05:43 AM

My first GT was a Sears with a deck like that ,take a look at those gear boxes , on mine one gear box seal leaked the gear oil out so I mixed wheel bearing and gear oil together to keep it from leaking not too bad , Al