• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mowerboy90 OFFLINE  

mowerboy90
  • Member No: 88394
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 09:49 PM

Picked this up last weekend for only $120. Turned out to be a 1978. Stumbled across it looking for an 80s MW mower my parents had that i rode as a kid and couldn't pay it up.  Runs, drives and cuts really well. Plan is just to clean it up and use it. Hope to maybe come across a snowblade, blower or tiller for it eventually. These suckers are kind of hard to find much info on but i did manage to find the manual online. Just seems like there's not many like this one floating around online. 

Need to get better pictures after i get it cleaned up. Having a buddy straighten the dent out of the hood for me so it'll have to be after i get that back from him.

Attached Thumbnails

• 78ward.jpg
  • 78ward2.jpg

• chieffan said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,847 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:36 PM

Welcome to GTT. That looks like a Gillson made tractor. Check our Manuals Section for any manuals that you need. There may be some catalog cuts and brouchures to see what the attachments look like. Good Luck, Rick
  • chieffan and mowerboy90 have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,472 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 03:20 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• boyscout862 and mowerboy90 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,127 Thanks
  • 44,143 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 06:29 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice tractor.

• boyscout862 and mowerboy90 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,809 Thanks
  • 6,044 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like to found a good looking old machine.  Clen them up and use them is my theory too.  What part of Ia you from?  I am towards the SW corner on #34.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 mowerboy90 OFFLINE  

mowerboy90
  • Member No: 88394
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 25, 2017 - 05:36 PM

Welcome to GTT. That looks like a Gillson made tractor. Check our Manuals Section for any manuals that you need. There may be some catalog cuts and brouchures to see what the attachments look like. Good Luck, Rick

MTD according to model number. Had already found the manual on MTD's site but i will check to see if there is any extra info i can get from your recommendation thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like to found a good looking old machine.  Clen them up and use them is my theory too.  What part of Ia you from?  I am towards the SW corner on #34.

Thank you! So far seems to be in pretty good shape looks and running wise. I am from the SE side along Illinois border on highway 34 also

#7 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 209 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 06:34 AM

Never seen a Wards like that.  It may not be Gilson built, the engine sideways like a Wheel Horse has me stumped.  As far as I know, Gilson hadn't done that since the 60's with the C series.  I wonder if it may be an MTD or AYP?  Interesting machine none the less, I like the one off ones.

Edited by Sprint 6, September 26, 2017 - 06:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montgomery wards, garden tractor