Who will be the feature tractor?
1974 Massey MF14 by James Bosma1024.39%
71 custom 10xl by Techumseh Power24.88%
Murray by KennyP24.88%
Lucy by John Arsenault37.32%
Bolens 1256 or 1856 by Fonz3482512.20%
Homebrew by wvbuzzmaster1946.34%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of October has now officially started and will end the last day of September. This month's theme is ugly tractors.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of October and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity.

We have 6 nominations this month. Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. Good luck to all entrants! Let the Voting Begin!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well if you want a ugly duckling I will nominate my 1974 Massey MF14

This is the second 1974 Massey MF 14 in my collection of Massey Garden tractors

When I purchased this tractor it came with a tiller with 2 extension kits to make it as wide as possible

It also came with this lovely looking homemade front blade with some interesting hydraulic arrangement

I have since removed the lovely plow harness and hydraulics.

The hand painted frame, faded red paint just adds to this old girl when you see it in person

The boat seat that the previous owner put on this Massey is just what it needed

I noticed with this Massey that the grill screen was different than the first one I got

Found out that sometime during the production of the 1974 MF 14 they changed the screen to a wire mess instead of a perforated steel due to cooling issues.

The lift cylinder is also a hair bigger in size and stronger than the earlier 1974 MF 14

The old Massey may not look the best but it is a good work horse

I have used the tiller with this tractor a was impressed how well it worked on hard ground and done a wonderful job on the loose areas.

This ugly beast also get used for snow duty during the winter months and does a wonderful job with the customized blower. just push the button and chute rotates in that direction.

With a tractor this ugly you don't mind it getting down and dirty while having fun

Everyone needs a garden tractor like this ugly beast

Attachments

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will nominate my 71 custom 10xl. I found this online for 80 bucks. It wasn't running when I picked it up, I cleaned the carb and fixed a few wires and it now runs good. It was used in a barn it's whole life to run a grain elevator. The took a wheel off and had an adapter for the hub. I also have a snowblower for it.
Some day I plan on restoring it lile I do with all my other ones. I just have too many irons in the fire. I have had it for two years now. I get it out and run it around every now and then. I have also used the snowblower in the winter time. Which also works pretty good.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll nominate Murray. He's rather ugly right now. Originally this was an 18 HP/42" cut mower. A previous owner put a 20 HP B&S on him. Deck is long gone. They also adapted an older Sears lift to the rear for a sleeve hitch. Took a bit of time to get the hood back on it, had to readjust the muffler lower to clear. He has a Peerless 2300 4-speed, so I still have a very low granny gear. I did put a larger pulley on the engine to gain some top end speed.

I had to make a new choke linkage due to interference with the hood. Bought a new ignition switch and longer belt. Member larrybl made me a deal on the seat. He will lead a fairly easy life now towing things around and maybe some light rear blade work.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:245446]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:245445]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:246005]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:245300]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:246006]

#6 ·
For the first time ever I would like to nominate a tractor.....haha

I would like to nominate my old tractor Lucy, she is the perfect ugliest/operable tractor I own. Unfortunately she just got even uglier. She being an old survivor was great for the short time I have own her but I knew the Tecumseh days were growing short. Being that this tractor is a daily user for her strength, durability , and nimbleness. My wife and I decided to re power her. I did the work to get the new engine in and found that the old front clip was not going to fit. This was expected so I was ready with another old grill I had (tried to give away once on this site) and decided to cut into that one. Immediately it was ugly , what was once a nice patina-ed look was now looking like a hack job with white shiny paint and let me tell you it was scary, we had a cool old tractor now looking like a Frankenstein that someone painted up trying to make it look better. Now comes a point where I am done with my job anyway so I am cleaning up the shop putting tools away and my wife takes over to blend in the new grill so that it don't stand out so bad.

OK so I know I lose points for a re-power as much as I didn't want to do it I needed to for the 100's maybe 1000's of hours I am going to put on this tractor. This is our main go to tractor for every job around the house during the spring, summer, winter and fall. However is you can find it in your heart to consider engine choice and install job into that factor I will be great full.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

This is Lucy when we first got her she came with two junky tractors and a pile of parts.

Vehicle Snow Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

With some work I was able to get the engine going and have been using the Tecumseh for the past two years, with a few hick ups here and there the mass consumption of oil I could not complain about this tractor. So this is where it gets uglier.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

With the new engine in and the new grill cut and installed it lost its charm , this is where we were both not liking it , you can see where it looks like someone with a rattle can tried to make it look better so it makes it look worse.

The photo above is where my wife requested to get her hood and grill back so she could touch it up.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

This is what I got back

Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

I had to weld a plug in the gas tank hole on the hood to close it up per her request , I am glad I did she did a great job doing the body work and then junking the hood back up.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Camera accessory Automotive tire Cameras & optics Automotive design Reflex camera

My wife took my weight tank off the rear that I was mocking up for the winter weight because she needs to make that look old too. Last year I was running around with a cast iron radiator strapped to its back for the added weight it worked well but was way to bulky , but its what we do when we are in a pinch and need it now.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

The above photo should make up for some of those points I lost ....haha

Anyway its been fun thanks for the fun event and wish yall luck try'ing to be dis ugly.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'd like to take a try with my Bolens 1256 or 1856 as I call it. I bought this tractor to be a work horse around the house and that it is! It has a18hp briggs swapped into it which fits snug under the hood. The tractor runs strong and sounds great. At some point someone decided to wire wheel the body on the whole tractor to prep for paint and never got any further with it. To fit the big briggs under the hood the battery and gas tank had to be relocated. The seat pan was cut out and a motorcycle battery was squeezed in under the seat. The seat was raised and solid bolted to fit the battery under it. Now for the gas tank, a 2 gal. gas can that you generally buy at walmart was placed where the battery used to live right in front of the dash and a line was run into the can to pull fuel, where you would normally dump fuel out of a gas can you now fill this tractor with gas from there! :rolling: Someday I'll tinker with it and install a better gas tank setup and make it look a bit better but for now I use it to till up a garden and next I'm hoping to fit my Bolens snow cab on it and blower for the winter.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am going to nominate my latest haul. The history of this tractor is unclear, due to the previous owner not asking anything about the tractor when he bought it 8 years ago out of Eastern Pennsylvania. However, he did not do anything to it or with it himself, so it sat all this time, either inside or outside depending on available shop space. He listed the tractor on Craigslist and I bought it. As some of you knew I had been wanting a homemade tractor for some time now.

After tinkering on the tractor for two hours it was running and driving around the yard. Power is provided by a UC-60 International Harvester power unit from the 1940s as it is a Continental Y69 sourced engine. This chain drives a late 1930s Dodge 3-speed transmission, which finally chain drives a 1950s Pontiac rear axle. If white wall tires isnt class I dont know what is, mabey the three brake pedals, none of which operate both brakes simultaneously. Or could it be the living room furniture that offers a little comfort until you realize it tilts opposite of direction of travel every time you change direction. Maybe some open chains near your feet when you let out the clutch pedal you cant really reach easily is that extra bit of class to tip the scales. Speaking of tipping the scales, that concrete might set that idea in rock solid form.

Now the big quiestion, what is it? I am going to take a shot and pick a decade of manufacturer, key off the styling a branding, and make up a model. 1970s International Harvester Custom Crop.

My plans for this tractor include leaving it mostly alone except to refine the operator controls slightly to make it easier and safer to operate, and swap out the dryrotted tires for ag lugs and tri ribs. I am slowly debating implementation for this tractor, possibly a plow or grader blade is in its future. If only I knew of the original intended task this tractor was built to handle, I would equip it accordingly. As most of you guys know, the Custom Crop has found itself a home where it will get well deserved exercise and shown to future generations of tractor gurus in hopes of prolonging the hobby, and stimulating the creativity of the newest generations.

This post has been promoted to an article

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.