107 replies to this topic

#91 york0060 ONLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:45 AM

I am a Mechanical Engineer for Leggett & Platt Inc.I designs machines to make the products we sell and have been doing it for 26 years. I work with a great group of guys and we are still having fun.

#92 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:59 AM

Currently serving as a small town parish pastor in Eastern Nebraska about half way between Omaha and Sioux City. I have been here 3+ years after completing four years of grad school in Dubuque, Iowa. My roots are in the farm country of Northwest Ohio where all my family still lives. Prior to going to seminary I did 7 years of debt collections (mortgage, medical, and property tax) and 3 years of business analyst/project management what did computer testing and implementation. Before college I worked at Dad's service station and a local ice cream shop.

#93 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:00 PM

At least my cubicle comes with a view!

Attached Thumbnails

• office.JPG

#94 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:10 PM

I started delivering the local paper at the age of 12. Also worked here and there for a second hand store helping with deliveries and cleaning used appliances (for $5 a piece LOL). I worked in a restaurant for almost my entire senior year and hated that! Out of High School I went to work for Sears as Christmas help and stayed there for about 5 years. That continued right through college and my first marriage! I also left Sears a couple of times to try different things (a window factory, auto parts store). I also worked part time in the maintenance department at the college I attended. After college I couldn't find a job in my field of study (Electronics) so I went to work for an HVAC / Appliance parts supplier where I did shipping and receiving, warehousing, shuttle truck driving, and some counter work. After that, I worked a summer for a sign company doing installations and running a boom truck. My next move was to a zinc smelter plant where I worked as a Chemical Analyst (I have a knack for the technical and sciency stuff). After 4 years and some advancement in responsibility (but not pay) I moved to my current Employer. I started there as a laborer, moved to mechanical maintenance for about 1 year and took the first bid that came up for the Electrician position which I still hold 10 years later. After about 1 year as an electrician, I was asked to join the newly formed crane maintenance department. I was even in charge of it for a time, but the company changed hands and the crane maintenance department was dissolved...but we still have cranes. I still do the same job I always did just under a different title now. So I guess the short answer is Overhead crane inspection, maintenance, and repair technician.

I saw this thread pop up and thought that I would add a pic of the view from my cubicle!
IMAG0029.jpg

#95 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Part time in a retail store called Big Lots, mostly afternoon/evening shift, occasional small engine/tractor mechanic which im not going to be doing anymore soon, odd jobs, still looking for another part time morning job.

#96 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Not sure if I've posted in this thread before or not, but I'm driving truck for most of my money now. I haul parts, and parts of parts, around Winnipeg for Buhler/Versatile/FarmKing/Bradley Steel and likely some other divisions I've forgotten. It's a decent job...the pay's too low but the work isn't very hard and the people are decent.

I write for money too. Likely if wanted to know what I really am, I'm a writer. Not sure if I'm any good or not...great writers starve and so do bad ones. It doesn't matter though, because if you aren't doing something else for a living, you'd just sit in a room by yourself and then you'd have nothing to write about. Anyway, I make a buck or two...mostly from carpentry and landscaping how-to articles and photography manuals, but my real love is science fiction.
  • caseguy said thank you

#97 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Steve, that is a heck of a view. Is that from one of the gantry crane cabs??
  • caseguy said thank you

#98 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Steve, that is a heck of a view. Is that from one of the gantry crane cabs??

No, not a gantry crane and not in the cab either. It's a bridge crane and I was standing on the access walkway when I snapped that pic. Technically it's a top running, double girder, cab operated, electric, overhead, bridge crane. But what's in a name LOL. It's identical to the other one in the picture but facing the other direction. (Just FYI, a gantry crane has legs that hold it off of the ground, and the wheels are at the floor level)
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#99 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I know the difference. I just couldn't come up with bridge crane so sent it wrong hoping you would set me straight with the correct answer. I had the right idea. I may have cheated though... Lol

#100 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Real job?
I took a job at a trailer repair shop in August 1976. This was after growing up on a farm and having different part time jobs lin high school. Dad had milk cows as long as I can remember and that was one job that was never done, always work on a dairy farm. Worked for the neighbors when they needed help too. Worked pea pack for the Jolly Green Giant in the summer too. I did some ditch and tiling work right after high school and worked in a fertilizer plant also. When I started in the trailer repair shop I didn't think it would be my lifes work. I went from the new man to Service Manager which has involved 2 moves and 30 plus years. I have done different part time things in the mean time. I tended bar, was a volunteer fireman, volunteer ambulance attendant, movie projector operator, worked as a part time farm hand, and have a yard and garden service. I still do yard and garden service and offer on site welding service in my off hours. This after I do my regular job and do deliveries for another company owned by the same people.
Web site links appear easier than trying to explain the companies, so I will add them here (for informational purposes) (olcowhand has a Wilson hopper in one picture that I noticed)
http://www.wilsontrailersales.com/
http://www.pierpleasure.com/

#101 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:08 AM

I write for money too. Likely if wanted to know what I really am, I'm a writer. Not sure if I'm any good or not...great writers starve and so do bad ones. It doesn't matter though, because if you aren't doing something else for a living, you'd just sit in a room by yourself and then you'd have nothing to write about. Anyway, I make a buck or two...mostly from carpentry and landscaping how-to articles and photography manuals, but my real love is science fiction.

That's interesting Rev! I am quite a Sci-Fi fan myself. I have thought about trying to write something, but never seem to have the time. Have you been published? I always enjoy your posts and it's because of your way with words.

#102 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:46 AM

That's interesting Rev! I am quite a Sci-Fi fan myself. I have thought about trying to write something, but never seem to have the time. Have you been published? I always enjoy your posts and it's because of your way with words.

I've had several how-to articles published, and I've ghost-written five how-to e-books as well as bevy of things on everything from photography to a presidential platform for some guy in California. That was interesting because he was obviously a few tools short of a wrench set, if ya know what I mean. There are sites on the internet where you can bid on things people want ghost-written, and when I'm short of cash I use them. I don't think anybody could make a living off it...the rates are low...but it's welcome extra money.

As for fiction, I've had one short story published in Asimov's, but that was 25 years ago. Also had a semi-fictional thing in Eight-Ball Magazine a few years ago...I think it was the last issue before they went belly-up...about shooting pool with bikers.

I don't submit most of my fiction these days. I know I should, but the process is time consuming and the pay is so low if you do manage to sell something. I keep hoping that somebody comes out with the writer's version of i-tunes so I could just post them and see what happens.

#103 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:52 AM

...I keep hoping that somebody comes out with the writer's version of i-tunes so I could just post them and see what happens.

Sounds like something you should maybe pursue?!? With the bevy of internet tools out there today, you don't have to be a computer nut to create a website. I feel like we're hijacking the content here, so I'll PM you instead LOL.

#104 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 10:14 AM

I too am a big science fiction fan.What was the story you had published in Asimov's ? I have probably read it.I may even still have it here.

Edited by mjodrey, March 04, 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#105 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 10:01 PM

I too am a big science fiction fan.What was the story you had published in Asimov's ? I have probably read it.I may even still have it here.

It was "Dead Flowers." About guy who travels in time by temporarily jumping into other people's bodies. The problem is that he's a heroin addict, so he leaves a trail of junkies behind as he jumps from one to the next. The government agency he works for doesn't care, but the woman assigned to look after his body does and finally decides to kill him.