#76 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'll throw in my 2 1/5 cents. I never learned to type..............Grew up in western KS, school and college in Ks. Sold consumer products for Kimberly-Clark out of the Kansas City office for 5 years and when the boredom set in , jumped into industrial fluid power without knowing the difference between a valve and a cylinder. By 2002, I had spent 27 years troubleshooting industrial machinery, specifically hydraulics, power unit design etc. In plants of all kinds in MO, AR, KS. The fluid power business is fluid, with acquisitions, sellouts and by '02, when another closed, I had had enough. Quit. Went home. built a laminating press for garden bridge arches. Sold them and other carpentry misc. until one customer wanted to trade a John Deere mower for part of the bill. I didn't want the d#$% thing, but took it anyway as $100 credit. Fixed it and sold it for $350. When the brakes finally went out, I bought it back. Still have the carcass and the engines in a pristeen working mower out back. I sometimes miss the times in the factories working with plant or maintenence engineers. It wasn't the rat race. It was the rats. I've probably worked harder since I retired, than before, and I enjoy the freedom. The aches and pains will go away by morning. They will, won't they?

#77 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 09:20 PM

...And that my friends is my story, and I'm no where's near ready to retire .

Wow skyrydr2! That is quite the storied career...and it's not over yet! I hope that the rest of it lives up to your expectations!

...The aches and pains will go away by morning. They will, won't they?

By golly I hope so, or I'm in big trouble LOL!
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#78 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 917
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'm late to the party as usual, but I'll throw mine in as well. I'm currently in my 21' st year as a law enforcement officer, all at the same department. I would also like to thank Brett for his sacrifice and invaluable service.
  • daytime dave, ducky, caseguy and 2 others have said thanks

#79 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 09:24 AM

...I'm currently in my 21' st year as a law enforcement officer, all at the same department...

I'd like to offer my thanks to you as well! We often forget about the other folks in uniform who keep us safe here at home! My hat's off to ALL our public servants, no matter what your arena is!
  • Orangeman05 said thank you

#80 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for the kind words caseguy.

#81 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 09:33 AM

:iagree: We sometimes forget the sacrifices these folks make.

#82 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:32 AM

I don't have a regular job. I just work when I can on what I can. I've mowed lawns, been a maintenance guy at a falling down warehouse, installed windows, fixed lawnmowers and chainsaws, jacked up and moved houses with Wolfe House Movers, plowed snow, and right now I am working with my dad on a big remodel project for some farmers. I like making money but I also like free time and they don't go hand in hand. Hope to get a regular job for a while next summer if the offer still stands with Wolfe House movers( need to get some wheels first). I like farming though so maybe someday I'll get to that.

#83 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm late to the party as usual, but I'll throw mine in as well. I'm currently in my 21' st year as a law enforcement officer, all at the same department.

Thanks, Orangeman! 21 years in law enforcement is very respectable, not a easy life to lead. Often times not thanked until someone is having the worst day of their life. ---THANKS
  • Orangeman05 said thank you

#84 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:09 PM

I grow up on a dairy farm were we milked about 30 cow. Over the years we expanded to 80 head. I bought my own farm in 1971 and farmed till there till 1976. Found out I did not love the cow as I thought I did and went into trucking as an owner operator till 1988. I have been with a forklift dealership since 1988. I started as a road service tech and since moved into training, warranty administration. I also work in our service department IT and support our technicians laptops setting up new ones, upgrading software and shoeing out those little bugs, worms and trojans that sneak in. We have 80 some laptops in the company now.

UPDATE,
I will be joining Chris (Cvans) in what he has called the best job he has ever had.
RETIREMENT :bounce:
Yes I made it. The end of December will be my last day.
Really looking forward to the freedom and the extra time to work on my GT stuff and of-course the GTT staff.:bounce:

#85 johndeere112patio OFFLINE  

johndeere112patio

• Member No: 3835
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:31 PM

hello ,
i'm a production operator at nexans ( bohain , france ).
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#86 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks, Orangeman! 21 years in law enforcement is very respectable, not a easy life to lead. Often times not thanked until someone is having the worst day of their life. ---THANKS

No need to thank me Brett, because of every Veteran's service and sacrifice since 1775, I have the freedom and privilege to serve here. Thanks again!...

And Ducky CONGRATS to achieving the best job of all!
  • ducky said thank you

#87 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 04:04 PM

I'm a wrench head trapped in a computer geek's profession.

I couldn't have found a better way to put it for myself, either... well done ;)

Grew up rurally. Didn't farm, but we had horses and 10 acres. One Grandfather was a farmer. The other one did road construction, trucking, and when that work would dry up in the winter, built road salt spreaders. That's where I started to get the little bit of skill that I put into the GT. Funny that I used to hate getting roused in the morning to have to go to the machine shop... now I do it for fun.

As for the vocation, my grandfather's company got passed to my parents. My mom would spend the last 2 or so hours of each summer day typing up shipping manifests for the next day's deliveries. We got an idea and within a few months I had her a computer program and special form to feed through a printer to cut that couple of hours into a couple of minutes. That's where the idea of doing software got started and continues to this day. Been working banking for the last dozen years or so, but worked in software for Ford New Holland before that. I think that I got hired there out of college because I was the only computer kid they interviewed who actually understood what they made.

This is a good thread. Interesting to see people coming from all over the board.

#88 danfriday OFFLINE  

danfriday

• Member No: 6510
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:13 PM

I drive a cement mixer full time and cut lawns and clear snow part-time. Best full time job I ever had.
Below is a pic of my truck and my toys for part-time work :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#89 crazycamaro1980 OFFLINE  

crazycamaro1980

• Member No: 7689
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:34 PM

1206111301b.jpg Red fuel tanker caught fire at rear axle and has all new lower frame and suspension, also tank will be blasted and painted. Lower frame is all stainless steel with built in low profile air tanks that also double as cross member. Tank is aluminum. Stainless milk hauler on right side in middle pic is getting streched to an 8 axle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1206111251a.jpg
  • 1206111251.jpg

#90 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 08:17 AM