#61 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Wow how this has changed in the last year! I have always been a carpenter/contractor, but now I am a 57 year old widowed dad to 3 adopted minor children and this is my real job now! I would not change it for anything.

#62 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:59 PM

I got behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle on my 18th birthday hauling an over sized load. I had a few different jobs over the years but have been driving truck for a living since 1978. I've been with my current employer since 1985. The hours can be crazy, but it keeps the bills paid.

#63 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:01 PM

I see this is a bit old, but I got to see what you all do so I figured I'd share my info..Held many jobs when younger, mechanic, logging, irrigation, about anything to make a buck. Then joined the USMC about 11 years ago when I was 25, and currently still in. If ya'll are ever in eastern NC drop me a line.
  • ducky, caseguy, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#64 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thank you so much for your invaluable service to this great Nation Brett!
  • Brett said thank you

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Knew there was something I liked about you. Thanks for your service.
  • Brett said thank you

#66 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Brett, a little advice from someone who has been in your shoes. You have 11 years now stick it out and make at least 20 when you are my age you will be grateful. You can have 2 careers and still retire early. We all appreciate your service even us old timers.:smile1:
  • Brett said thank you

#67 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Let me add my info here as well. Grew up in SE Kansas and out of HS I joined the Army and worked on M60 tanks for 3 years, was stationed in West Berlin, when the Wall was still up. Left Active duty, and spent 17 more in the Reserves, retired from there in 1997. After Active duty I went to work as a Mechanic for a couple of different places, worked on about everything that came in the door. Got tired of the last Boss and walked out one day.(A move I am still glad I made). Worked construction for about 2 years building Grain Elevators. Gave that up and went to work at a Landfill for about 4 years, Operated a lot of equipment there, (You would be surprised at what people throw out). Was fired/layed off, and worked at a Limestone Quarry for about 5 years. Operated the Rock Drill there, and a lot of the equipment as well. Mechaniced at both of those places as well.

Moved to Oklahoma got married and I now work at a VA Hospital, title is Cook, but what I really do is receive and Issue the groceries to the Kitchen.

#68 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thanks guys....Kenny thank you for your service! We all have jobs that people count on getting done. I'm fortunate to have some job security during these tough economic times for that i'm grateful.

#69 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Brett, a little advice from someone who has been in your shoes. You have 11 years now stick it out and make at least 20 when you are my age you will be grateful. You can have 2 careers and still retire early. We all appreciate your service even us old timers.:smile1:

Thanks Bill, & thanks for you service as well. Anchors Away! I will definately stay till they retire me. I see we have quite a few service members on here.

#70 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Grew up in the auto/ light truck repair business. My father owned a repair shop until I was 17 but health forced the sale of the business so I went to work for other shops. Last shop I worked for I was there for 18 years. Now I've been a school bus mechanic for the last 4 and a half years, I made the change to get into the state retirement system, I'm not getting any younger. LOL.

#71 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Farmers helper and restaurant cook in High school. Enlisted in Army national Guard(10 years) married, landscaping for three years after basic training then started at current job. Step-father and Mother own business that started as a Mobile home (trailers) repair service and has since grown to include a retail parts store for MH as well as still doing services and repairs, I do a little bit of almost everything, still do some service, order parts/stock, wait on customers, answer phone, sweep, make coffee..... We also install residential and commercial awnings, carports and occasional patio room. Wife and I have built and lived in two houses, doing most everything ourselves. Last home built in 2008 at our lake lot. Be here til they haul us off, will probably have to keep working til then.

Forgot to add that this was a good thread to read through, thanks to all who have contributed!

Edited by Michiganmobileman, December 08, 2011 - 09:11 PM.
Last comment

#72 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Lived and worked on a farm until the barn burnt and Dad decided to move to town, at 14 hired on as an assistant to the best mechanic I have ever known, drafted into the US Army at 18 in 1967, retired from there in 1989, opened small engine service shop but got tired of being a bill collector, started working at golf courses as an equipment technician in1993 and retired from that in July 2011.

Trying to find a new direction since then while working on the projects I picked up along the way.

Bill

#73 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:18 PM

After high school, worked on the farm ( 4 yrs. ) , National guard , Bean mill ,(3yrs.)
10-67 to 7-98 Machinist at shop in Urbana, Ill. Since then I have been self-employed
in my own machine shop at home. It sure is nice having UR own shop if U need to build a piece for a garden tractor.:smile1:

#74 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Brett Thank for you service. As HDWildBill said stick it out you are through the though part. You will have a great retirement.

#75 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Well, as most here, I free up on a self supporting little farm, meaning, we grew all our own meat and veggies and dad owned his own construction company. '74 and the poo hit the fan, gas went COO COO , and the construction business went in the dump, dad decided to open up a Hydraulics repair center and we were off, I was just a little shaver then , and resented all the things I had to do,looking back now though, Dad, I love you!
Many would of loved to have been in my shoes, I had welders,torches, largest, milling machines, and a ton of machines I can't even spell at my disposal. I built just about anything. I could think up, and made it happen. What a time that was.
Then I decided to do something different , I got a job at a motorcycle shop.
The head shop tech loved me and took me under his wing and taught me all the nutty grittys of making racing 2 cycles. Soon I became his right hand and made many fast bikes and chainsaws. Rember Hurricaine Hanna? I did a few of his bikes.
Well that got old fast, and I left and went to AAMCO Transmissions, soon to become Leominster Transmissions. Did that for about 4 years until GM aproached me with an offer I couldn't turn down. I worked for them until the summer of 98. I was offered the dream job of a lifetime (all this time still working with dad at the machine shop when needed) Research And Development for Wain-Roy Construction Equipment. This was the time of my life,
Well as anything that good could never last, it didn't. They got bought up and moved to the mid west and I chose to stay behind. Well went back to GM for 2 years of sheer hell , I hated every second of it, it just wasn't the same , and luck was on my side, a friend of mine I grew to know from York Wain-Roy days together called me up and asked if I might be interested in a maintanance machinist job for a large mfg company that he worked for. I said anything has to be better than working on cars so I took the job.
Went for an interview and was hired on the spot. I loved the new challenges but had a tough time coming to terms with the union, as it was a union shop. But I figured them out and it has been very fun so far, I work directly with 2 engineers all the time, so its almost like Wain-Roy, in that sense . I love dealing with the close tolorances too. It never seems to get too stagnent either, as you always have to stay up on the competition.
Needless to say I love to help out and fix problems.
And that my friends is my story, and I'm no where's near ready to retire .